What Ways Did You Rebel Against The Elders & The "Truth"?

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I used to get a kick out of how some people used to push the elder's buttons. Sisters would wear a dress that was 1 inch above the knee just to get the brothers going. Or brothers would grow something a little longer than a mustache......What did you do to exert your independence???

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

I went to college.

-

Blue Bubblegum girl

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Cut my hair too short

got a tattoo

pushed the limit with my clothing

promoted "worldly rock music" among the youth in the congregation

p.s. then give incredibly well prepared and researched, "encouraging" answers at the meeting so they couldnt say anything about how I looked because I was so damn upbuilding

• blondie
    blondie

Want to guess?

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Not shave. Wait until a haircut was long overdue. Wear wrinkly dress pants/shirt/coat. Then there was the revenges I got on my study conductor.

I'd make plans or excuses for the day we had our study. I drove to the Kingdom Hall while he was waiting outside my house to pick me up.

Whenever I would pick someone up for the meeting, I'd listen to AC/DC in the car. Can't remember much more. I should have been more rebellious.

• minimus
    minimus

I mentioned before about a MS that stunk. I'm sure he did not bathe to push the elders buttons....Very stubborn, stinky fellow.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I really didn't start to rebel till I was in bethel after a couple of months. What I use to do was wear a bandanna on my head suring work hours like a gangsta rapper, I would sing rap songs and do rap dances during work hours, I wouldn't go to morning worship.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I used to wear very loud neckties -- and colored shirts -stuff like that

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I grew shoulder length hair and then once they took away all of my priviledges I cut it. I used to listen to Hardcore bands, they used to give me lectures about Heavy Metal music so I would tell them how I didn't listen to Heavy Metal I listened to Hardcore. If they gave me examples of bands I would always say I didn't listen to those bands and then list a bunch of bands that they never heard of. I used to make it a point to ask stupid questions at the book study, like I would ask what the reflection of the bowls meant in the glassy sea in the revelation book, I'd say how everything else was symbolic and how could this one not be. I'm also a huge wrestling fan which didn't go over too well. I used to give the best talks in the school too which they really didn't like because they didn't like me. Talks were a cake walk for me.

• La Capra
    La Capra

I wouldn't do this to anyone now, even to the elders in my old congregation, but I used to out think and out maneuver them, and then let them know I had done it. I could see their next four or five steps, even before they did, so I could get them on a wrong tack pretty easily then slam them with an honest denial (with hard evidence, like alibi), or simply the contradiction of their position. It was too easy to trip up the elders in their circular or faulty logic. I realize now it really wasn't their fault they weren't too bright or educated. I never answered questions, only asked 'em, and volunteered information on my own, and never what they wanted to know (you see, even though all their kids made stuff up to turn me in for, I never did anything that I could really get in trouble for). When I was a teenager, a new ready-made elder moved to our congregation with his family. He was very bright probably secretly college-educated by his incredibly wealthy family, and was impossible to trip up. The other elders never talked to me without him after he arrived. He played my same game, so our conversations rarely went anywhere. That's when I decided to go to college to rebel. Shoshana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit