Not giving the org a bad name

by seattleniceguy 14 Replies latest jw friends

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

It takes time to get over it. You will, though.

CZAR

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I hope people look at my life and think "geez there is no way in hell I or anyone I love is going to get involved with THAT religion"

• cypher50
    cypher50

Even with all the things I know now, I can't help but still feel a knee-jerk reaction to defend JWs when the topic comes up at work. I hope that doesn't stay with me forever but it is so deeply ingrained in my personality...I probably need to read a book like Crisis Of Conscience and maybe these feelings will relent a little quicker.

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

I've been out since '90 although I started attending meetings and was nearly reinstated in ''97 and still defend them in discussions when people are coming out with the normal misconstrued BS. I don't talk about that long period of my life now except occasionally on discussion boards like this one

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I guess I am a little different in that I don't have a massive amount of rage toward the society. I think it's a religion that has hurt a lot of people, but lots of relgions and groups have done that. If it makes any sense, I don't think they deserve a distinction as being more hurtful than any other group of misguided people who do things on God's behalf.

This doesn't mean I don't speak up when I find fault with doctrine, or practice, or when those two things don't line up. It's hard for me, and in my feelings irrational, to have a sweeping hatred of EVERYTHING associated with JW's. And there are still people who are JW's that I respect and like. I just feel sorry for them for having such a hurtful way of life.

I dunno, I realize this isn't a popular view sometimes. I realize there are some people who were hurt a lot worse than I was by this organization. I think there are a wide range of emotions, and intensity of emotion based upon our personal experiences while we were in.

Eventually you are going to find your own level of rage, guilt, disgust, etc. Don't discredit any of your emotions, just try to understand why the way you feel the way you do and you are well on your way to recovering.

On a personal note, I've really enjoyed your posts Seattle, please keep them coming.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit