Do you use a dictionary?

by compound complex 18 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Well, of course you do when you need to. In my work, I rely upon GOOGLE for quick answers on definition (denotation), pronunciation (audio), etymology, shades of meaning (connotation), etc.

What I REALLY mean is, do you use an actual unabridged Websters, the one you get a hernia lifting? I ask because, last night, I was tired of fighting with my two ailing computers and decided to pull the big book off the shelf. It was great, hearkening back to olden times -- childhood -- when I read real books and periodicals and wrote unknown words into a notepad (the paper sort) and pored over old Noah's offerings.

Your thoughts?

• stillin
    stillin

When I was young, I used to sit on the couch and read the dictionary, The big one. Where do words come from? How do you pronounce this one? Oh! That's a good word! What a nerd I was/am! I still keep it on the counter in front of my book case, and yes, I use it.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

Yes, I sometimes pull out my printed dictionary! And you know what....I also use my printed telephone book, yellow pages and all to find something faster and more detailed than my daughter can find on her ipad!! In my area you actually have to call and request the printed phone book now. We always ask for 2. Man, sitting here thinking how my 60+ year old self is becoming obsolete and the things on my shelf are "antiques".

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, if I come across a word I'm unsure of or want to check specific meaning before using one in something important, but usually an online one.

Now I'm like Trump, I know all the good words I does.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Same here. One thing I prefer with the Internet are the audio pronunciations. Beats phonetic script any day.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I haven't used a print dictionary in years. Only online for this girl. My favourite is the Canadian Oxford Dictionary.

• zeb
    zeb

yep. I have a small electronic one. Collins English.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Usually an online one but I have been known to get a concise Oxford off the shelf if I write a snail mail letter. My spelling is so bad I think I'm slightly dyslexic. Yes I just had to look up dyslexic.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I use on-line resources sometimes, but I have in my library a good selection of Dictionary type works, on Etymology and Usage as well as the normal Oxford and Webster's etc.

I am a Bibliophile, and so prefer the feel of a real book, but more than that, I find I am drawn to other words than the original I was researching, and go down some wonderful paths of learning, which rarely happens on-line, except sometimes on Wiki, with its Links in blue.

Real Books are a wonderful thing.

• freddo
    freddo

As an early teen I would of course look up "rude" words, but also of course the dictionaries I had access to then would contain none.

When I was about 18 I bought a more comprehensive dictionary - nothing massive but one volume about the same size as a pair of insight books bound together.

And of course the first thing I did was look up to see what rude words were in there.

Now I tend to use online for spelling (using real English - none of this New World colonialist stuff - perhaps you can think of a rude word to describe my attitude? ) and definition.

Yes, the dictionary in book form has for me gone the way of the typewriter - fallen into desuetude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit