My trip to the Bethel library....

by logansrun 19 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

Towards the middle of my eighteen-month critical investigation of the JWs and the Bible I decided to pay a visit to my sister and brother-in-law at the Patterson Bethel complex in New York. Perhaps it was a last-ditch effort to salvage whatever faith I had in the organization, or maybe it was the realization that I would not be able to see my sister under semi-normal conditions again if I left; I don't know.

Of course, the trip did not save my crumbling faith. If anything, I saw first-hand that Bethel life is nothing special and that the reports on how "wonderful" and "paradise-like" Patterson was were overblown to mythical proportions.

I'll be brief:

People seemed to be in a hurry and not all that friendly. Everyone was cordial and well dressed but seemed to have this up-tightness about them. The buildings and landscaping was nothing to brag about -- I felt like I was in a clean and tidy Comfort Inn.

Meals were particularly strange. To say it was like the military would not be an exaggeration. One had to even wait until the "table head" (army sergeant?) used a clockwise motion with his hand to start passing around the food in their completely functional, metal pots and pans. The meal itself was not much better than what one would find in a hospital cafeteria.

Now to the good part

While my sister and her husband were working I had literally nothing to do. I took a train to New York City one day but that was the only thing I did outside of the complex. So, I hung out at the library. The Patterson Bethel library, that is.

First off, there were hardly any magazines. A couple Newsweeks and some travel magazines. (I think the reason for this is that Bethelites just can't wait to go on vacations and leave their monotonous lives. Or perhaps they look at the pictures and dream.) But the interesting thing were the books.

If any publisher ever gets counseled for having some of "Christendom's literature" they should pay a visit to the Patterson library (which may or may not be the same as the Gilead library). There are literally ROWS UPON ROWS of commentaries and books from all sorts of theologians, ministers and commentators. No joke -- there are HUNDREDS of books by servants of Satan at Bethel.

And did I mention the self-help books? Yes, they're there too. Norman Vincent Peale as a matter of fact (He, also a servant of the Dark Lord). And Darwin's "Origin of Species." I doubt that anyone even cracked open that masterpiece. And there was NO CURRENT books supporting evolutionary thereory there. But there were a number of books by creationists -- complete with notes in the margin and highlighted portions. I wonder if those were some of the books the writer(s) of the Creation book used to pass off as "educated Watchtower scholarship"?

Of course, there was every single piece of literature the Society has put out since Russell closed his haberdashery and ventured into his theological phantasoms. I perused that stuff with GREAT INTEREST. Conclusion: The "apostates" didn't forge the material they quoted on the 'net.

So, with a sick stomach and a deflated view of the Society in mind I left home for Chicago. A year later I would be out of the Dubs forevermore.

Bradley

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Sorry you had to go through all that to prove that with the "apostates" there is no smoke without fire

• logansrun
    logansrun

still,

I didn't say I went there to make sure the "apostates" were not liars, but the visit did cure some doubts I had about them.

B.

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

I found the same to be true at Bethel in Brooklyn. I was shocked to see some of the titles available to the casual reader. My impression was that the Brooklyn Administration did not get it, that is they had no depth of understanding. On the one hand they sounded the alarm but on the other hand they couldn't recognize disaster. The ideas in those books were far more threatning to WT faith than any church. But there they were. My conclusion was that it really didn't matter because JW,s were not serious about truth nor were they seekers. That insight was for me alone because in those days I could not share it with anyone.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Sidda

Nice of you to drop in. Long time no see.

SS

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I had heard that the books at the Bethel library were censored, portions of pages cut out with razor blades. This was even the case with books quoted in the Watchtower. I heard this either from a brother who had been to Bethel or from the "apostate" literature. Any truth to this?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

My first contact with serious Bible scholarship was at the French Bethel library. It had a great part in changing my life.

I remember the "brother" who was the head of the translation Department, and who took care of the "Creation" book, checked the scholarly references in the published French translations. He told me once how shocked he was that quotations were blatantly taken out of their original context. Yet he is still inside, he even became the President of the national legal association of JWs.

So life goes...

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Leolaia,

No censorship in the French Bethel Library (until 1985 of course).

• Room 215
    Room 215

Logansrun.. Your description of the Bethel library is exactly how I remember it, and not infrequently the WRT writers had stacks of books from it piled on their desks for reference as they wrote. I've commented on this on several earlier related threads. In the old 124 Bethel library, they had writers' alcoves directly adjacent to the library shelves, for convenient access to the world of Christendom's accumulated wisdom.

• SLOAN
    SLOAN

Glad you are out and free from the "lie" Logan!! I enjoyed your post.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit