Britain in the doldrums!

by Nicholaus Kopernicus 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Landy
  • Landy
    Landy

96 to 06 there was no UK growth at all (probably due to the generational change). There has been more steady growth between 06 and now.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

the ratio in the UK--in the '60s was 1 in 800+.

i moved to the isle of wight in 1971. the ratio here was 1 in 400--over double the national average.

• freddo
    freddo

@Landy

96 to 06 there was no UK growth at all (probably due to the generational change). There has been more steady growth between 06 and now.

But notice how the population rises from 1996 to 2006 - very roughly 1.6 million but from 2006 to 2016 - a whopping - 6.4 million. I believe this reflects the great influx of folk from eastern Europe having joined the EU and been granted free movement - especially from Poland - who make up a sizeable portion of recent jw's today in the UK.

Growth? It's as flat as a pancake really.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

how do you define "group" as opposed to "congregation " i find it difficult to believe there are that many immigrant jw's in the UK. maybe a dozen in a large city.

• freddo
    freddo

Also the oldies that came in in the 1960's are dying off. In the cong. that I sometimes attend (about 75 pubs) 3 older ones in their 80's/90's have died in 2016. No replacements getting baptised or even becoming publishers.

• freddo
    freddo

@Stan

I don't think IoW has many immigrants compared to the UK average. Just across the water in Southampton you have an immigration population of 20,000 largely of Poles.

On jayborg it show 9 congregations - one of which is a full Polish congregation - and the following language groups:

Punjabi/Tagalog/Romanian

Portsmouth has the following groups:

Polish/Chinese/Portuguese

So as a guesstimate let's assume that those 9 Southampton congs at 75 each equal 675 publishers - let's further guess that the Polish congregation has 40 and each language group has 10 - that means at least 10% of Southampton's jw population is immigrant and if the Polish congregation is 60 plus then more like 15%.

Now think of London, Birmingham and the Midlands ...

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

a chinese jw living in portsmouth--???

well--thats a bit different ha ha.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

so--all those jw's from very different countries--decided to come to the UK--presumably for a better life ? so much for the new system arriving in their home country any time soon.

• freddo
    freddo

Of course a large proportion of them came here not as jw's and with little spoken English and few friends and who should smile widely at them but pretty pioneer sisters with literature in their own language and "instant (conditional) friends"?

Hence the "Britain" figures being propped up in jwland.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit