My father is reading Crisis of Conscience...

by logansrun 26 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

My father DAd himself for purely emotional reasons when my parents got divorced seven years ago. It was a rash decision to say the least.

I re-established contact with him about three months ago. I had not seen him since he wrote his letter of withdrawel fromt the Society, mind you. Unbelievably he still felt it was "the Truth" and figured he simply would "die at Armageddon."

Enough of that shit! I gave hime Crisis of Conscience and the Christian Freedom book about two weeks ago -- I had waited because I didn't want to offend him or overload him with what he was brought up to believe was "apostate" material. So, you want to know his reaction?

"I've wanted to express myself the way Ray does for a long, long time" he said. "He seems like a very humble and intelligent man."

Great news, eh? I think so. If nothing more than to help him see that he is not some evil person for leaving the JWs and destined to die at Armageddon. I'm rather pleased with his reaction so far.

Just thought I'd share a little good news with you all.

Bradley

• Amazing
    Amazing

Brad,

Excellent News!!! ... keep us updated as to how he reacts as he gets deeper into the material ... and I want an advance exclusive interview at lunch before you post more. Thanks, Jim W.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Bradley that is brilliant! I really hope that reading those books helps your Dad see the rational reasons to leave the Watchtower.

Expatbrit

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Cudos to you, Brad, and to your dad for being open minded enough! I'm really happy for you!

Terri

P.S. That has got to be the best Xmas gift you ever got............uh, did you ever get any?

• logansrun
    logansrun

I'll add more:

My dad said he still believes that "90% of what the JWs say is the Truth." I questioned him on that "pulling a statistic out of your ass" comment. (No, I didn't use those words ) His thinking is basically this: That the JWs are correct about the falseness of the Trinity, the immortality of the soul -- or lack thereof, no hellfire, Christmas, yadda, yadda, yadda...

How does this translate to the core of the Christian message? Beats me.

Amazing: Now I just need to sign him up with the Democratic Party hehe...

Bradley

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

That's great, Bradley.

CoC remains the only book I would wholeheartedly recommend to a believing JW.

• Sassy
    Sassy
    Unbelievably he still felt it was "the Truth" and figured he simply would "die at Armageddon."

Enough of that shit! I gave hime Crisis of Conscience and the Christian Freedom book about two weeks ago

that was how I felt when I made my decision to leave.. Simple Sally is going to borrow me the book to read.. As soon as I am living there in her neck of the woods I am going to..

• gumby
    gumby
    If nothing more than to help him see that he is not some evil person for leaving the JWs and destined to die at Armageddon. I'm rather pleased with his reaction so far.

Bradley,

Reading COC will do alot more than that for him. Once he see's the fallacies of the religion as a whole.....he will question many more things. I envy you at this point. I can't tell you how glad I would be if ANY of my family would read such material. Good for you buddy!

Gumby

• integ
    integ

Great news Bradley. If he's "righteously disposed" to actual truth, like he sounds like he is, then it looks like you have a great potential recruit to the "dark side".

Integ.

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D
    Great news, eh? I think so.

Without a doubt Bradley. Glad to hear it!

If nothing more than to help him see that he is not some evil person for leaving the JWs and destined to die at Armageddon

That's exactly why I showed it to a couple of friends of mine who were DF'd a while ago. To a degree they still carried that same guilt around, and it killed me.

One of them read a portion of CoC and it helped it their recovery from believing that they are bad, evil people who are going to be murdered by the almighty loving jehover @ the 'Big A'. It was nice to see.

Paul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit