Medscape Article: Munchausen by Internet

by Scully 27 Replies latest watchtower medical

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Usually anyone with drama going on (above and beyond our own normal drama) is creating their own drama. Most people show up here in good faith and expect everyone else does as well. Probably most were abused as Dubs, and want to show their unconditional support and concern. But, as Scully said let everyone use their own thinking cap. If someone wants attention they can use health issues to prop up support.

Speaking of that....my toe hurts! Can I get some love?

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

This is a great reminder Scully, thanks.

An a related note: I had a male friend last year that struggled with an online "relationship". After almost a whole year it finally dawned on him that 18 cancelled or postponed trips from his online "girlfriend" (whom he'd never met, but felt was his soulmate) was probably a sham.

Through that year, this girl struggled with endometriosis that was incorrectly diagnosed as kidney stones, thus prolonging the disease being untreated and ultimately making her infertile. Because of these health problems, her hospital (she was a nurse) let her go due to all of her health-related absences and she lost her medical coverage. But it all worked out because daddy's rich and just paid cash for her household and medical bills while she laid on the couch for several months recuperating from the emotional and physical pain of realizing she'd never have children. In the meantime...her sister-in-law left her brother and their two kids, which in turn made him move in with my friend's online girlfriend because the brother had nowhere else to go. So she had children in the background all the time screaming and playing and doing homework. (Hmm...who's kids were they???) Also...her rich daddy was diagnosed with stage four terminal cancer and had to go through many bouts of chemo, radiation and surgeries and finally the family decided that he was to be pulled from all types of treatment in order to enjoy the last days of his life. The whole family then went to their home in Lake Tahoe to say good-bye and watch said rich daddy die out his last days in peace.

*deep breath*

It's even more laughable now that I write all this crap and can see it in black and white. My friend is a very smart man, but had not had much experience with the opposite sex and fell for this liar hook, line and sinker. In spite of it, he (finally) very gently broke up with her, just in case she was for real. (LOL!) But she continued to call, IM and email. I haven't talked to him in ages, so I don't know what came of it after that. I do know that after the 3rd cancelled trip, I was ready to fly to California and find the beatch and wrangle her to the ground. That is if she was a SHE after all. (Of course when I did a search on her, I came up completely emptyhanded.)

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I guess I don't follow everything on this board closely enough to understand the "timeliness" of this thread being bttt'd. :)

That's a very interesting article. I think that the high instance of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia among JW women is due to an interesting phenomenon titled Munchausen by Kingdom Hall. lol

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

** I think that the high instance of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia among JW women is due to an interesting phenomenon titled Munchausen by Kingdom Hall. lol**

Wow, Dan you've dared to step in that mess?!? LOL

• minimus
    minimus

Call me doc.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Hey Min....aren't you a mole? LOL ;)

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    I think that the high instance of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia among JW women is due to an interesting phenomenon titled Munchausen by Kingdom Hall.

It's funny that you say this, because the only three people I know that have been diagnosed with this either are or have been JWs. My father was diagnosed with both of those several years back. The docs still don't know what's wrong with him. I imagine if he wised up and left this crazy bunch of people, his symptoms might likely disappear.

It truly is amazing to me how the human body manifests stress.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Munchausen by KH! ROTFL! I wonder about these syndromes too... in my fourth year of pioneering, at 21 y.o. I was diagnosed with CFS, which was "cured" by quitting the pioneering and working on my endocrine and immune system. It took nearly a year of CAM treatment with herbs, supplements and homeopathy. I'm 100% certain the CFS was a result of the stress of trying to live up to impossibly high ideals placed on me by my family and the JWs. I've known a number of people with CFS and FMS, and almost to the person, they are individuals who suffer extreme emotional stress and/or neglect... usually mostly by members of their own family. Eventually they develop one of these pain/fatigue syndromes. I believe absolutely that the pain and symptoms these individuals suffer is real, but I also believe that most cases have a long-term emotional component that has caused a physical drain on the body. There has been a lot of research to support this theory, but ultimately it is probably un-provable.( <----->

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit