Psychic torture and manipulation

by Norm 16 Replies latest jw friends

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Norm,

just these few lines to write ,how
    I do appreciate the time and efforts that you put
    in your research...and the way I do like them -
    with WTS quotes - clear for anyone to see "through "!

Thanks, and agape J.C.MacHislopp

• COMF
    COMF

Hi, Norm. Usually when someone posts a great post like this which is just a presentation of facts, and doesn't call for any response from readers, I don't post. I'm not much for cheerleading. But for once I want to pop in and say, I always read your posts and am always impressed by the research, reasoning and inevitable conclusions. I know that a lot of your personal time and effort goes into this.

Occasionally I speak up and express my appreciation. This is one of those times. Thanks!

COMF

• larc
    larc

Hi Norm,

I too offer my thanks for your fine work.

It is little wonder that the rank and file are rife with physical and emotional problems. RHW stated it very well in her own personal example. You can never do enough and it is your fault. If you wear out for trying to do more and more and more, it is your fault too. It is always your fault, no matter what you do. This whole mindset, is a sure perscription for suffering.

One of the things that has amazed me here are the wonderful stories of recovery, once people get out. It is a real testimony to the strength of the human spirit and how that spirit can be healed with a modicum of normalcy in a person's life.

Norm, I hope you get back to JAVA's coffee shop one of these years. I would love to have more time to talk to you.

• Loki
    Loki

Norm

What a thought provoking post. I'd forgotten how much guilt used to play a part in my life.

Funny how they forget to point out the possibility of a connection between poverty and too much time in field service, in not enough in education or gainful employment.

RHW: Good point. I too was a reg.pioneer. Was never enough, there was always more that I should be doing. I also ended up ill and having to give up, as did as another pioneer in the same cong. Never got any thanks for what we did manage to do.

Loki
    Lost a lotta guilt

• Norm
    Norm

Hi COMF,

Thanks you. It means a lot to me coming from an old veteran like you.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Hi Larc,

If I am still alive I hope to be back to visit Java some time in autumn.

Take care

Norm

• outnfree
    outnfree

Norm,

I was horrified the minute I read your first sentence.

I remember this article ! and the gut-wrenching guilt coupled with anger that it provoked in me.

I guess by then I was already recognizing that I could never, ever, do enough by Society standards, and so the effect that this particular article had on me was just the opposite of its intent.
    I DID give up. Spent my time on more profitable things -- my family, my sanity! This was the beginning of the end for me (coming on the heels of the "new light" on "generation"!) and I declined to go out in freezing, wet weather for service OR meetings. The article was SO disheartening. Yup! I rebelled. (Still took me 6 more years to leave, though!)

Thanks for posting the excerpts and your analysis. It is important for lurkers and newer board members to see.

outnfree

• Enlighted UK
    Enlighted UK

Great post Norm.

18 When a runner knows that he is near the end of a long race, he does not give up. His body may be at the limit of its endurance—exhausted, overheated, and dehydrated—but so near to the finish is no time to stop running. Similarly, as Christians we are in a race for the prize of life, and we are very near the finish line. Now is not the time for us to stop running!—

What the Society don't seem to have realised (or maybe they have) is that when a runner starts a race, he knows he will be running a 100m or 200m or 1500m race. If a 1500m runner, got to the 1400m stage, and the marksman (??) suddenly said across the tanoy "Well folks, this race is actually going to be a 2500m race. If any of you were thinking that it was going to end at 1500m, then you were being a bit eager weren't you??" And then the same thing happens at 3,500m etc etc. What would the runners response be???

If I were a runner my response would be "Stuff you I'm going home".

Well then, I'm a very miffed ex-long distance runner.

Enlighted UK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit