TODAY is my 56th anniversary of GOING TO PRISON as a Jehovah's Witness Conscientious Objector

by Terry 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Etude
    Etude

I was caught up in that. I graduated HS in 1970 and got number 18 in the Draft Pick. I didn't think I was going to get by that one. I consulted with several people and was advised to apply as a Conscientious Objector. Opportunistically, I was also told that while accepting alternative service (i.e. working in a hospital) was a matter of conscience, it would not be looked upon favorably.

I had to appear before the local board at least twice. They interrogated me but would not let me use the Bible. I don't think I was very convincing or the men on the board were ultra-patriotic. Ultimately, I was denied and had to arrange to go to the Appeals Board, the last stop.

After Nixon had promised to end the war in order to get re-elected, I had to go to Fort Dix, NJ to get my physical exam. While there and having a mild cold, I was issued a classification (I can't remember what it was) evaluating as a deferment.

So, I didn't have to go. Nevertheless, that did not ease the anguish I faced with the options of having to go to jail or leaving the country and being separated from my family. That would come to be in play later.

It was many years after that I ended up writing to the Society regarding the Malawi - Mexico issue. I put it in terms so they would understand the dilemma I had faced while now learning that it's a matter of conscience for Mexican JWs to bribe someone for a military card.

The bastards never answered me.

Etude.

• Terry
    Terry

My congregation overseer told me that Brothers Knorr and Fred Franz wouldn't risk being
    treated the way Judge Rutherford and his Board of Directors were treated and end up in prison
    for advising others against following orders during a time of war.
    Every one of us inside
    were taken into the Kingdom Hall library respectively, and told what to say and do but strongly admonished
    to NOT say we had been advised.
    The situation dripped with irony. We, the young JWs, had to be the brave ones while the older leaders cowered in their paradise on earth in Brooklyn.

One of my closest Brothers named Sam told me his Dad paid Attorney Hayden Covington $10 grand but in the middle of
    the parlay with the Judge, Covington got a call from boxer Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) to join his legal team due to his success before the Supreme Court on behalf of freedom of religion.
    Sam said that Covington rushed the Judge and left in a hurry when the 5 year sentence was banged down.
    What is interesting about all that is this: Covington was disfellowshipped in, I believe, 1963 or thereabouts and not reinstated until 1978.
    Muhammed Ali and his team fired Covington and refused to pay him. The only thing he ever got from Ali was an old clock.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

The utter hypocrisy and lack of concern for others is saddening. Doesn't their own bible say (Luke 6:31) “Also, just as you want men to do to you, do the same way to them"? But it seems more like "Do as we say, not as we do".

They're a terrible cult. SMH 😔

• Rivergang
    Rivergang
    The only thing he got from Ali was an old clock.

Very considerate of the boxer, Muhammad Ali. I would have thought an empty whiskey bottle more appropriate!

• was a new boy
    was a new boy
    Terry

Every one of us inside
    were taken into the Kingdom Hall library respectively, and told what to say and do but strongly admonished
    to NOT say we had been advised.

What percentage of brothers in USA were told that? I was never told that.

Nixon stopped the draft a month before I was scheduled to appear.

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

Despite a JW Protest scheduled for October 31,

https://www.befree2023.com

Another, separate protest is needed, (as the average JW knows nothing about this) highlighting one theme, like,

'GOING TO PRISON for Jehovah's Witness COWARD LEADERS'

Never let them forget!

In other words, the WT sacrificed them so the organization could claim persecution by the evil government.

Terry
    That is a conspiracy and it is illegal. The GB were cowards hiding their undue influence.

NotFormer
    But the GB wanted martyrs.
    After people like Terry sacrificed their youth and gained criminal records for themselves, the WT never acknowledged them or rewarded them in any way for their faithfulness. Then they quietly changed the rules...

Terry
    We, the young JWs, had to be the brave ones while the older leaders cowered in their paradise on earth in Brooklyn.
  • Terry
    Terry

was a new boy

What percentage of brothers in USA were told that? I was never told that.

Nixon stopped the draft a month before I was scheduled to appear.

A per one hundred breakdown is not within my capability because I only have
    surreptitious access to the still living / still in Brothers who were in prison.
    I've been very careful, methodical, and circumspect in my queries. Out of the
    40 or so Brothers I spoke with back in the late 60s, every one of them was
    privately counseled the same way. They were from Southern states, Oklahoma, Louisiana,
    Arkansas, Texas mostly. As a sample size - I don't know how representative this is.
    There were 5 Draft Age Bros. in my home congregation. Only 2 of us went to the clinker.
    With the other 3 it was a "don't ask - don't tell" situation.

One Bro had a mom who was best friends with the head of the local Draft Board. She was
    not a JW. He ended up working at a GOODWILL INDUSTRIES job for 2 years.
    Another Bro had a wealthy dad. So, every variation on that theme was possible.
    I discovered a few years back, when an EXJW confessed it to me - he had bribed his way out.
    Cash changed hands. A political thing. He is a wealthy engineer and he comes from money.
    There are thousands of stories in this experience. Maybe there is no "there" there as far as
    that goes.
    If you want to know what a REAL conscientious objector, true-believing Christian would do -
    Watch the movie HACKSAW RIDGE about the real life C.O. Desmond Doss (An Adventist).
    Now THAT was courage and integrity!
    We JW boys pretty much had a relatively easy time of it all things considered.
    Yes, I was sexually molested - but - it didn't kill me and at the time - didn't wreck my faith.
    I lied about the severity of it to my prison Brothers, inventing a kind of "Jehovah saved me" scenario as might be expected. In reality, so many of us were brutally treated one on one and lying about it for the sake of the FAITH BUBBLE. Who knows what any would be Christian in history really experienced, eh?
    It has a name: Pious Fraud.
    It happens because True Believers don't want to ruin the fantasy for the others.

"Pious fraud" is a term used to describe actions or deceptions that are committed with the belief that they serve a greater good or a religious or moral purpose. While these actions may involve dishonesty or deception, they are often rationalized by those who commit them as being for a higher cause. Here are several examples:

1. **Forgery of Religious Artifacts:** Throughout history, individuals have created or altered religious artifacts, such as relics, in an attempt to strengthen the faith of believers. For example, in the Middle Ages, some churches claimed to possess pieces of the True Cross, but many of these were likely forgeries.

2. **Religious Propaganda:** Some religious texts or writings may contain exaggerations or embellishments to promote faith. For instance, hagiographies (biographies of saints) often included miraculous events or deeds to inspire piety.

3. **Religious Charlatans:** Certain individuals throughout history have claimed to have divine powers or connections to the divine, using their perceived authority to exploit believers. These charlatans may use deception to gain followers and accumulate wealth.

4. **Apocryphal Texts:** Some religious traditions have included texts that were not included in official scripture but were revered by certain sects. These texts may have been written with good intentions but contain exaggerated or false claims.

5. **Altered History for Religious Reasons:** In some cases, religious leaders or organizations have altered historical events to fit a particular religious narrative. For instance, changing the dates of significant events or claiming divine intervention in historical battles.

6. **Religious Miracles:** While many people genuinely believe in the miracles attributed to religious figures or events, some skeptics argue that some of these stories are embellished or even fabricated to promote faith.

7. **Suppression of Contradictory Information:** In some cases, religious institutions or leaders may suppress or downplay information that contradicts their beliefs. This can include censorship of historical evidence or the suppression of scientific discoveries.

8. **Pseudoscience and Health Claims:** Some individuals or organizations promote pseudoscientific or miracle health remedies with religious undertones, claiming that these remedies are in line with divine will.

9. **Misrepresentation of Religious Texts:** In an attempt to make religious texts more appealing or relevant to modern audiences, some individuals or groups may interpret or translate religious texts in ways that deviate from their original meaning.

10. **Invented Relics:** Creating and promoting relics, such as the purported burial cloth of Jesus, the Shroud of Turin, which some claim as evidence of the crucifixion and resurrection, is seen by some as a pious fraud.

It's important to note that the term "pious fraud" is subjective, and what one person considers a deception for a greater religious good, another may see as deliberate dishonesty. These examples illustrate the complexity of the concept and its historical significance.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

(Can't find the 'broken heart' emoji)

My heart goes out to those who were not just emotionally abused by WTS but also permanently scarred with completely unnecessary criminal records at the whim of men who were/are so far removed from the realities and functions of normal responsible adult life.

• DisgruntledFool
    DisgruntledFool

Like Terry, my brother was counseled to refuse alternative service and to claim that it was his conscience that led him to come to this conclusion. He was to be remanded for prison in 1969 when he had an automobile accident during his lunch break that crippled him for life. He was still to be sent to prison when a federal magistrate decided that it wouldn't be in the governments best interests to imprison a disabled young man for 'draft dodging.'

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I find it interesting that people claim it never happened, when there are many, myself included that got counseled about it well into the 80s and 90s as the draft applied and still applies in many other countries. Even today, kids are still told that if a draft were re-instated they have to go to jail. I know COs and Bethelites that still take it as a badge of honor that they went to jail for the religion even though alternative service was available and the WTBTS has changed its mind about alternative service several times.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit