I'm not the only one who sees the similarity am I?

by NikL 11 Replies latest jw friends

• NikL
    NikL

I've been thinking this for some time.

We all know what this picture is...

Well, this is Dachau Concentration camp...

Ever since I first saw the tower at the new HQ I've thought about this.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

That JW tower needs a machine gun to be complete.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I saw that pic a while ago.....It reminded me of a..

Prison Guard Tower..
    Image result for prison guard tower

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005
    We all know what this picture is...

Looks like good Photoshop work to me. However, the metaphor fits.

• steve2
    steve2

Yes, in our current day, the symbol of a watchtower is the very opposite of flattering! Think Orwell's 1984.

Initially, when Chuck Russell and his associates chose a watchtower to symbolize their movement, the commonest function of watchtowers was to enable guards to see into the distance to detect the earliest signs of approaching danger and warn those below to get ready for action.

Back then in the 19th Century, this was a near perfect symbol for an end-times religion. The choice of symbol seemed inspired.

However, in the 20th Century, watchtowers were increasingly associated with high-level surveillance of captives - such as the classic centralized panopticons or watchtowers in penitentiaries. These centralized watchtowers are perfect constructions for monitoring individuals' every private behaviour and serve as the means of uncovering punishable violations of the rules.

Today, this is a perfect symbol for high control religious groups such as JWs.

This far, far more sinister cult-like function of a watchtower has in more recent years probably led to the organization toning down the watchtower imagery and replacing it in large part with less fraught cult-baggage such as the initials, "JW" as in "JW.org.

• Island Man
    Island Man

I know what you mean. The new headquarters actually does kind of look like a modern prison.

• Alostpuppydog
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

Excellent post Steve

• Darkknight757
  • schnell

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit