Lost Childhood -> PTSD -> Lost Adulthood

by one_ugly_time 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• one_ugly_time
    one_ugly_time

When I read the title of the thread ?Was your growth stunted because you were a Jehovah?s Witness?, I posted a version of the following while extremely emotional. This is rather long, so you can skip to the bottom to read the comments I added, in reflection, that gets to the point of why I posted this.

---

Take a nylon cord and make a noose at one end and put in loosely around a toddlers neck. Not taut, very loosely, as if it feels like a necklace. The loose end falls down the toddlers? chest and drags along the ground as he walks around. Even in his nakedness, he wears this "necklace". It gives him security to know that his parents can reach out and grab hold of the loose end should he start to stumble. What blessed, loving parents to give me such security.

A couple years go by. I haven't started growing too fast yet, so the noose is still loose but not as loose as it was. In fact, it won't go back over my head. But it's still loose enough that it acts as a non-threatening security device. As I enter my development ages in school, my parents soon learn that I am running around on the playground chasing girls, playing at recess, and generally socializing. Upon learning this, they decide that I am about to stumble since I am not prepared to understand what belies my fate should I continue such dangerous activities. So, they call me into their space one evening, and tell me ?What we are going to do is going to hurt us more than it hurts you?. With such reassuring love I obediently comply with their request to remove all my clothes and turn my back to them. They proceed to tie the loose end of the noose to one of my ankles. I am allowed to get dressed and continue my life as if nothing changed.

With the restraint in place, I continue to attempt the activities that seemed so normal, only to learn that I fell every time I chased a girl. So, I slowed down so as not to trip myself. That worked, but now not only could I not catch any girls, I was terrible at running the bases, couldn't long jump, and couldn't get out of the bullies way fast enough to save myself from many black eyes and bruises to my self-esteem. My parents were right. Look how bad everything got. My, oh my, I had no idea. When I explained to my parents what was happening, they reassured me that they had successfully tempered the pain that I would be feeling if they had not been so loving and restrained my ambitions. I go to school everyday telling everyone what loving parents I have for not allowing me to participate in such destructive past-times.

As time goes on, I adjust quite well to my restraint. I realize the love and unselfishness that my parents where able to have in their hearts. But, something is slightly amiss. I can't quite figure it out. As I continue to grow, the noose feels as though it is getting smaller. I question my parents and they assure me that that is not the case. ?In fact?, they say, ?you are simply becoming aware that the noose is not a security blanket, but a reminder of your previous faults. Once you repent your childish behaviors in your childhood, and assure us and our god that you will not regress to such pathetic ways, we assure you that the noose will no longer affect you the way it appears?.

I tell them I understand. They have been so loving and kind, why wouldn't I understand. But something was still bothering me. So I go back to them and explain that I understand that the noose isn't really affecting me like I thought it was. But, the restraint at my ankles is affecting me. You see, I am growing and the cord is getting taut now. I can't even straighten my legs entirely. ?Ah?, my parents tell me, ?that is so you will strengthen. You see, the cord is nylon, so it will stretch if you are strong enough, and then you can straighten your legs?. How loved again. I am too weak. They have helped me understand my shortcomings. I am so thankful to have such loving parents.

I work daily on strengthening so that I may stretch the restraint. I am only after comfort at this point and I am even too weak to obtain that. What must I do? I pray nightly for repentance and eat spiritual food for strength. I try talking to my parents on a regular basis. Without their love I am certain that I would never get the strength I need. But I keep growing.

I eventually grow to the point that the noose is feeling tight. I approach my parents and tell them all I have done to redeem myself and to make myself stronger. They are at a loss as to why I am now troubled. ?Why is the noose bothering you then? What more do you want from us? You are only concerned about yourself?. That itself is a sin of unthinkable proportions. They tell me, ?We cannot help you overcome this problem. You have grown and it is time for you to let go of your childish ways and we must assert tough love if you are ever going to overcome all your shortcomings?. Obviously, they have done everything in their power to show all my faults to me, but I have not listened well nor heeded all their advice in the manner that I should have. They turn their backs on me and tell me to go talk to the wise men that have trained them. The wisdom they have is much greater than theirs. My parents loved me so much that they humbled themselves to recognize that they could no longer help me. They had shortcomings too. But they could admit them. How noble. I love my parents.

So off I run, with the steps of an infant, to see the wise men and to ask for counsel. Upon meeting with them they are astonished that I have any problems whatsoever. They tell me that my parents have done such a wonderful job. They have done nothing but show unconditional love. They have even taught me how to strengthen myself so that I may follow others at a greater pace. These men where very wise indeed, for they spoke the truth. How they knew my parents did all that for me, I never quite figured out. But they knew.

--

At some point I found that stretching the restraint was wasting my strength. At least I felt that way, but everyone around me said I was wrong. But I listened to myself, how or why I don?t know. I was told I was listening to Satan not God. But I started to think that since God created Satan, that maybe he did know a few things. As torn and twisted and disabled as I had become, I listened. I heard an inner voice tell me to save my strength. Store it up over time. The stretching of the nylon would continue forever and the noose would continue to draw tighter and tighter as I grew. I decided to keep this thought to myself. It might be worth a try.

I spent years storing up my strength. Never stretching, except the tightness of the noose so as not to restrict my consciousness. I began my ritual of spiritual bulimia, eating whatever I had to eat and purging it so that I didn?t grow and continue tightening the restraint and the noose. I reduced my conversations with my parents, knowing, as they told me, that they had given me all the love they had to offer. I lived a quiet, solitary life for a while. But I gained the strength my inner voice, or Satan, had told me I would need.

I woke up in the spring one year and the sun was beating heavily. It was a beautiful day of life. Life springing up everywhere. Did I have the strength? I wrestled with the thought for quite some time. I realized that my restraint represented my parents? love for me. I knew that what I was contemplating would all but destroy everything I had come to know. I lie in the sun, naked, breathing the fresh air, wondering how I would have the strength. I fell asleep for a while and dreamt wonderful dreams. Dreams of walking upright, breathing freely, stretching my muscles to feel good, eating foods I had never tasted. I dreamt about life. A simple life. But I knew that my restraint had hindered me from ever fulfilling that dream.

When I awoke from this dream, I realized that the sun had beat down on the nylon, making it shrink and feeling tighter than normal. I felt like I had sinned for dreaming these dreams and god was reminding me not to stray. But I realized something else, ever so slightly, the nylon had a coarse feeling. It wasn't smooth and silky like it usually was. It had dried up, like a bone, and was kinking rather than flowing and twisting. It was then that I realized I had the strength to break the nylon. It must be sudden, a snap, so that the internal bands were not allowed to flex. It was only the outer shell that was dry and fragile, but I had to trust that that was enough. I had to believe that I had found the weakness in the restraint and the strength in my being to exert one sudden impulse and to become free. Will it hurt? Oh god yes, it's going to hurt. The noose will most certainly pull as tight as it ever has, constricting ever bit of air for quite some time. So I prepared myself. I knew I would most likely pass out, but kept telling myself to start pulling on the noose as soon as I awaken. And keep pulling. And keep pulling.

It was time. I snapped. It hurt. I lost consciousness. I woke up alone and afraid. I pulled at the noose, never quite getting it off, but now I hide it under my clothes so know one knows. I am constantly reminded of my restraint. But, I am free. Sort of.

------

Being raised as a Jehovah's Witness I was reminded daily of my shortcomings, destructive ambitions, and self-centeredness. The love that I received was conditional. The nurturing that I received was either from a distant parent or a cult; I?m not sure to this day. I broke free over 20 years ago, and as I wrote above, still deal with the after affects of a neglected, traumatized childhood. I am starting to come to the conclusion that I have been living in a state of shock and bewilderment all my life. The traits that I exhibit are described as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I read the words, and I agree, but what can be done to outgrow this?

ugly

• PurpleV
    PurpleV

I too have had a similar experience. I was raised with the noose too, and even though I'm out 20 years as well, I still feel the effects of what was done to me, experiencing bouts of low self-esteem and finding myself very judgmental of MYSELF, not others.

Counseling and therapy have helped immensely. What really helps me, though, is helping others get their own noose off. If I can prevent just one child from going through what I did, it will have been worth it.

Hugs, V

Edited to add Your story was very well written. Thanks for sharing.

• franklin J
    franklin J

Hi, One_ugly_time, welcome to the forum, and thank you for sharing your story with us

I related to your post, I too, was raised as a JW, and although my parents were nurturing and loving ( to the extent allowed) they were under the same restrictions . I grew up with the same feelings of insecurity, and had a terrible time breaking away. Like Purple V, I spent time in therapy and deprogramming . It has been 25 years for me. It took many years for that fog to lift, but it does. And life will move on if you let it.

I found that making new friends and having new experiences helped immensly. And always keep a positive mental attitude. The further we move away from the negativity that we left in the WT, the easier it becomes

You have many supporters on this forum, keep posting. There is encouragement in numbers.

regards,

Frank

• waiting
    waiting

Welcome to our forum, one. (I've missed your other posts)

Nice to meet you. Fascinating, disturbing, account. Analogy? Not good on English terms.....but insightful writing.

I wasn't raised a jw....but many parents have ropes. Different ropes for different folks, eh? (pun intended).

But some ropes hurt more than others - and take different ways to get over, or learn to move around their effects.

As brought out, counseling with a therapist who's very familiar with cults will help. So much to read, take in - and it helps so much in understanding.

This forum (and other xjw forums) helps tremendously for people who really understand. We might not get along with one another on other levels, but we understand the jw experience.

Nice to meet you.

waiting

• Sassy
    Sassy

I must admit many of the threads which begin with a long description, I pass over but I was drawn to this one and couldn't stop reading it until I had read through your entire into. What a story and how much most of us will be able to relate to it is incredible.

There are so many things that can happen in a person's life that changes us, that scars us, a death, a rape, a kidnapping... Do we ever really get over it? I hope that somehow we can all get past the drama that being a JW has brought to our lives.

I wish I could say I've been out 20 years. I just turned 45 years old and have been in it all my life (all except most of this past year)... I know a part of me will be forever scarred.. but I wish that I had more years of my life to not have been bound.

• kj
    kj

That was long, but WELL WORTH reading. I pray that you will find healing.

kj

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Wow great read o_u_t !

I didn't read the original thread, ?Was your growth stunted because you were a Jehovah?s Witness?, so I missed this story of yours. It was a great read and something I could totally relate to.

. The nurturing that I received was either from a distant parent or a cult; I?m not sure to this day. I broke free over 20 years ago, and as I wrote above, still deal with the after affects of a neglected, traumatized childhood.

I could also relate to the above statement as well as afirm that you indeed are suffering from PTSD, I know I've been there also. Something that helped me get over it was doing work with Adult Children of Alcoholic's. You could use any disfunctional family system in place of the alcoholic and yes I do feel that I myself was hit with a double whamy being raised in a cult and having an alcoholic father and a co-dependant mother.

The traits that I exhibit are described as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I read the words, and I agree, but what can be done to outgrow this?

What kind of help to get is an individual decision ie; do you go into private therapy or counseling or find a group like I did of ACoA's? You can also go to any book store or library and find hundreds of books which can be helpful in healing. The main thing is to do something and do it now, PTSD doesn't go away on it's own, you can't wish it away, think it away,drink or drug it away, you have to look it square in it's ugly face and deal with it. I'm of the belief that if you put yourself out there, do the work the universe will open itself to the best path for you to go and you will find your way. I did!

One thing I have found is that you never stop doing recovery work, yes it gets better and I mean way better BUT in spite of my best efforts to stay on track I sometimes find myself reverting to old ways of thinking, feeling, and behaving, even when I know better.

I wish you luck, joy and peace on your journey of recovery. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

And BTW please accept my belated "Welcome to the board". I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Kate

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Many of us can relate to your feelings because we have been there, done it. I have not your skill at writing in allegory but I understand now how emotionally stunted and "Green" I have been due to such an upbringing.. We always believed we were so much better off and happier than those souls who had to endure "Satans world", such is the cult mentality

The sad thing is that it took so long to realise that it was phony, perhaps I never would have if events had not happened a certaain way.

Now, I know that the better part of my life (in terms of years) has past. I cannot get the years back. A lifetime spent looking forward to the New World and putting off important life decisions has meant that so little has been achieved.

It is a horrible thing to realise that everything you lived for was just a fallacy.. I am not going to live forever. Time has slipped through my fingers.

Dont worry , I am not as depressed as this piece sounds. I try to appreciate evrry day, but the sentiments are true.

If any young ones are lurking and still in the Organisation, Check it out right now, take nothing for granted , make up your own mind.

• one_ugly_time
    one_ugly_time

Purple V - Thanks for your comments. I agree that helping others does have a way of helping the healing process. Part of what I am trying to achieve, however, is internal validation. It seems that I have lived my entire life attempting to validate externally ie rescuing, helping, etc. at my own expense. This is very frustrating

franklin j - I have found this site to be extremely rewarding. Just reading all the other stories and coming to the realization that I am not alone lifted more fog than anything else in my life. When I meet others, at a peer level, I still have a negative disposition, which I believe comes down to a trust issue.

waiting - I'm not sure what it's called either. BluesBrothers mentioned allegory. I will look it up, cuz now I'm curious. My survival technique for years was denial. In the beginning of my recovery, I journaled many, many current life issues. I started with this type of writing to help wrap up all the unexpressed feelings, double talk, denial, and the overall issues involved. I ultimately try to tear apart what I write and put specifics; age, event, feeling, etc; to the example. Although it is slower, this helps me uncover the pain in manageable doses.

sns - I've come to the conclusion that it's not the amount of time that you've been out. It is more about working through the issues and understanding what it is you are really feeling. It has been incredibly difficult for me to post here, but at the same time I believe the saying, not sure where I got it, "Grief is a normal process that must be shared in order for healing to occur." I wish you well in your process.

kj - Thanks.

bikerchic -

Something that helped me get over it was doing work with Adult Children of Alcoholic's. You could use any disfunctional family system in place of the alcoholic and yes I do feel that I myself was hit with a double whamy being raised in a cult and having an alcoholic father and a co-dependant mother.

I have been reading ACOA, and also found a good friend that went through this process 20 years ago that is also ACOA. She has been a tremendous help. I have gone to a few meetings; don't know what I think of those yet. I don't think I said what you said, but I also have an alcoholic father, codependent mother, and they are possibly active - not sure, as it is impossible to get a straight answer out of them.

The main thing is to do something and do it now, PTSD doesn't go away on it's own, you can't wish it away, think it away,drink or drug it away, you have to look it square in it's ugly face and deal with it.

This is exactly what I am trying to do. It is very painful and time-consuming work. Thank you for the reinforcement; I do believe you are right, I just want it over with right now; instantly. That just ain't gonna happen, is it?!

I'm of the belief that if you put yourself out there, do the work the universe will open itself to the best path for you to go and you will find your way. I did!

That first step is a doosy !!!! And there are so many forks in the road !!! And there aren't any roadsigns !!! Oh, yeah, nobody's controlling my fate but me. It's the simple reminders like this that keep me coming back to this board.

BluesBrother - Unfortunately, my style of writing masks all the real pain. That is a defensive skill learned many years ago that has outlived its usefulness. I have only recently learned to analyze my own writings and extract for myself what I am repressing. It took many, many years for me to realize how "Green" I was emotionally and it took some fairly extreme situations for it to come to my awareness. I rage inside when I realize my JW mentality kicked in 20 some years after the fact and literally took control of my being for a ridicously long time, and hurt many individuals in the process.

ugly

• bisous
    bisous

Ugly, I read your post the day you made it. I have come back and read it a few times. Very painful reading for me, so many nerve endings there I can relate to. I have lost a good portion of my adulthood to the long lasting effects. I feel I am at a cross roads as to whether the hard excruciating experience of life as I know it (and trying to change for something different, better) is even worth the effort....

It has been about 20 years since I walked away from JW mind control. I was 23. While in it (5ish-23), I never felt I truly believed. I had no choice, but I didn't belong there and couldn't belong outside either. I played the game (studying, baptism, field service, skipped college) because it was the only life I had. I married a non-JW and then proceeded to spend a year converting him. Only recently have I had the courage to examine myself and life and admit how much control and influence those years in the sect had over me.

JW teach you to isolate yourself, only friendships and personal relationships in the church. It inflicts guilt if you do begin to form an outside relationship, so very quickly you cut off those attempts. This one aspect I believe shaped the rest of my life.

I used the sudden death of my husband as my escape point. When he was killed, I packed up and returned to the area I grew up in. The only person I knew upon arrival was my mother (a fading JW). My entire social life began to revolve around her (the woman who married into JWs and thus forced me into it too). I didn't know it then, but looking back I realize I didn't have the social skills or ability to form sustainable relationships. My mother quit practicing the religion and basically became my primary friend. I had people I met through work who wanted to be friends, it was always only 1 or 2 at a time, and eventually I would find a reason to drift away or end the friendship. Continuing to associate with my mother (shopping, going out to dance, movies, all the things a woman in her 20s and 30s would have girlfriends to do with).

I did of course have boyfriends. Molestation at the hands of my JW stepfather truly did a number on me in that regard. For a long time I equated those fleeting relationships with a search for love, something deeper. But the minute they got close, I was outta there.

Now I have cut off contact with my mother and basically live an isolated life. My human relationships exist with work colleagues. I recently moved to a new city where I literally know no one. I had 1-2 friends in the city I moved from. I feel like the 'noose' will always be around my neck, I kid myself that I cut free 20+ years ago.

I admire the strength reflected in your posting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit