What do jws say about cave art?

by badboy 22 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

I presume they say it was done after the Global flood because mud and such-like would have obliterated(sp?) them

• City Fan
    City Fan

Cave art from where and when??

• badboy
    badboy

THE cave art at altamira,spain or the dordogne region

• City Fan
    City Fan

oh THAT cave art.

After the flood.

• badboy
    badboy

Y did they do it(the cave art,that is)?

• City Fan
    City Fan

Religious reasons, hunting trophies, art for art's sake? Not sure if anyone knows the reasons for this art. My guess is they were drawn to celebrate successful hunting expeditions.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Are we wired for art? And for otherworldly visitations? This is exactly what author David Lewis-Williams proposes in his book THE MIND IN THE CAVE: CONSCIOUSNESS AND THE ORIGINS OF ART. The first four chapters deal with the history of man's thinking on antiquity and how theories of the 19th century such as Lyell's geology theory and Darwin's theory of evolution changed the way we think of prehistory. It also tangles with modern theories and the possible interaction of Homo sapiens with Neanderthals. Chapters 5 and 6 give more recent examples of rock and cave art from the San of Southern Africa to the Native North Americans. Chapter 7 weaves the discussion of shamanism into the picture as to what the images were. Chapter 8, the author compiles all his evidence and thoughts to propel his theory of art, shamanism, brain, mind, and states of consciousness. Chapters 9 and 10 deal with the caves themselves, their structure and their possible uses. The writing in this book is gorgeous and the thoughts are beautifully lucid. Anyone interesting in the beginnings of mankind and his relation to this world and the world of art and spirit will enjoy this book. It will also interest in anyone interested in shamanism. Many pictures, 27 of them in color, notes, a list of further reading and an index are also included. I look forward to reading more books by this author.

• Gerard
  • Outaservice
    Outaservice

Wasn't there 'cave art' in one of the Bethel cafeterias?

Outaservice

• NaruNaruChan
    NaruNaruChan

Cave art was purely religious, and part of a cult tradition of the paleolithic people.

Read about Shamanism.

The primitive humans would "Paint" pictures of bison being slain or herds of animals. Then they would go out, hunt, etc. IF the hunt was a success then the picture was deemed "lucky" in a sense, and drawn over and over again to ensure the hunt was good. If they ran out of wall space, they would draw over the best ones, trying to make them better. ^_^

I'm an art history major. ^_^

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit