How Murderers In the Congregation are handled

by blondie 17 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I don't have the link but I am trying to post this, this is from a previous post on JWN

Watchtower Bible And Tract Society of New York, Inc

Dear Brothers:.

We received your letter of December 17 in which you inquire about handling a situation involving a brother who has been guilty of serious violation of the law in the past.

You explained that you received information indicating that this brother ?committed several murders and crimes before his baptism. You ask if law obligates some action on our part. law enforcement authorities have no knowledge of this matter.?

As elders, you have no obligation to reveal information of this type to the authorities. Any information that you have obtained while fulfilling your duties as elders is strictly confidential. What he does about paying his debt to Society is largely up to him and his conscience. Since he is apparently a fugitive from the law, he obviously would not qualify for any extra privileges of service in the congregation.

You state that you have one report of his smoking marijuana with his co-workers which may have been after his baptism. We assume that is the reason that you feel a need to meet with him. Since he is a dedicated brother and he is presently attending the meetings, there is a need to investigate to determine if some type of congregation activity is necessary. Likely the best approach is to arrange for two elders to talk to him informally to make some discreet inquiries about his current conduct. If there appears to be substantial evidence of serious wrongdoing, then a committee should be formed to hear the case.

As we believe you understand, it is imperative that the elders maintain strict confidentiality about his past. If the elders inadvertently reveal his past wrongdoing, undoubtedly it will result in major repercussions to him and his wife. So handling this case calls for good judgment and discernment. We trust you brothers can handle things appropriately. Write to us again if you need further direction.

We pray Jehovah's direction as you endeavor to fulfill your weighty responsibilities as shepherds of the flock. We send our warm Christian love.

Watchtower Bible And Tract Society

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

it is imperative that the elders maintain strict confidentiality about his past - <--- this is the worrying part.

People need to be protected from murderers, sex offenders, etc.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

What he does about paying his debt to Society is largely up to him and his conscience. Since he is apparently a fugitive from the law, he obviously would not qualify for any extra privileges of service in the congregation.

That's pretty insane. I get the part about confidentiality, but they should have pointed out that it is more of a technicality than anything else. They have taught that Jehovah wanted "mercy, not sacrifices" and that Jesus gave examples of times when people violated divine law and God allowed it, because sometimes there was a greater good to be served and following the law mindlessly was not what God intended.

Yet, here they are, saying that a fugitive multiple-murderer's own judgment should be relied upon to settle the matter, and until then make sure he doesn't handle a microphone or lead a prayer. That would be bad!

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Watchtower: You say he may or may not have smoked marijuana with a co-worker? You better get to the bottom of this matter.

Watchtower: You say he murdered several people prior to his baptism? It is your DUTY to hide this! Imagine if others in the congregation found out.

Anyone else hearing the same thing?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Absolutely, truth_be_known

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Killing someone can get you disqualified from doing those wasteful missions, pious-sneering, or other bothersome tasks. Smoking weed can get you disfellowshipped.

Last I checked, adult possession of weed is legal in many states. True, I do not recommend using this because it will ruin your brain and your liver (and your soul). But, if you are wanted for serious crimes, I would think the obligation is to blow them in. We are not talking stupid parking ticket offenses or petit larceny here, but crimes such as murder and forcible rape. And, all this will get the offender is disqualification in pious-sneering, cleaning toilets, and possibly that next Israel mission?

I didn't want to go on any of those stupid missions anyways. Not Israel. Not Latin America. Not Africa. Not parts of India. No nothing.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Confidentiality is an oxymoron with elders and WT.

let it be noted that the murders are a lesser crime than smoking Marijuana

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Anyone else hearing the same thing?

Yes. I am also hearing this:

WT: You say you killed several people in cold blood? Well, that's between you and god.

WT: You say you slept with your boyfriend? We'll need a full accounting of the entire experience, with no details spared. Someone hand me a notepad and a moist towel, please.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

1992 Watchtower Murder Letter.

Atlantis!
  • Atlantis
    Atlantis

Just click the image to Zoom in.

Atlantis!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit