Does anyone own a Chromebook?

by Wonderment 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• Wonderment
    Wonderment
    If so, are you satisfied?
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Believe it or not I was debating between that or just another HP Laptop, I was reading the reviews about Chromebook and they seemed pretty good, of course some had a few complaints, but I was soooo close to getting until I saw an HP laptop on sale for $259 last Monday so I went with that instead.

Something I read about Chrome book in the reviews was that they don't last very long? Maybe some folks just got the lemons that rolled out of factory, wonder if that's really true.

• Simon
    Simon

I've looked at getting one as a cheap on-the-road dev machine. Never quite had the right balance of screen-res / SSD size for my liking but I really like the concept. One of my clients uses laptops at trade shows and will be switching to them next time they need to upgrade.

More and more stuff is web based. The app I used most on my PC is Chrome. A Chrome-book makes a lot of sense for most people IMO.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    I have one. I lent it to my son so hw can use it. I think it's very limited. I wish I hadn't bothered. no skype. No possibility of a disc drive. Yup...very limited. Ok if you don't do much.
  • pbrow
    pbrow

Both my kids were issued chromebooks in school. They have had them about two years now. They seem to hold a charge pretty well, pretty rugged and they have not had any system issues.

Not sure how much they cost but they seem pretty reliable.

pbrow

• Simon
    Simon
    ... they have not had any system issues. Not sure how much they cost but they seem pretty reliable.

The big selling point for education besides the low purchase cost is the low maintenance - they can be reset to new very easily and you can work with things stored in the cloud so they are interchangeable ... just sign in and all your stuff is there. Perfect for different people using them.

Compared to Windows where something goes wrong and you end up having to re-install Windows itself (the reset is not always reliable enough). Heck, even just over time they gradually degrade as apps get added, drivers get updated and the system get's screwed.

I think it's very limited. I wish I hadn't bothered. no skype. No possibility of a disc drive

Skype is a PITA. Google Hangouts is available instead. Also, you get an SSD in most models. Mostly it's for caching recent accessed stuff so rather than viewing it as "the entire storage" view it as "the locally cached pat of your cloud data".

You can access and use the drive like a local file store though. You can also switch it to a version of linux that you can install your own apps on (more of a dev thing).

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I have had mine almost 2 years now and absolutely love it. Never have had a virus or any other trouble. 2 hours a month of free internet is built into it so when traveling you can be in the middle of nowhere and still use it. Same thing if your internet is down at home.

I am a complete novice when it comes to computers but this one is the most user friendly I can imagine.

Oh, and it's pretty too- bright aqua! :)

• GodZoo
  • 3rdgen
    3rdgen
    GodZoo, Whoever looked at my data would be bored out of their minds!
  • Qcmbr
    Qcmbr
    We have 3. Add a chromecast and it gets real fun. Keyboards suck though - keys keep needing to be reset. Kids live on them for social media and browsing plus the odd bit of homework.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit