The mormon church(The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)

by asp59 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dozy
    dozy

https://www.exmormon.org/ is another interesting site. Actually many of the experiences there are very similar to JWs. Its just another religion / MLM business ( with a compulsory 10% "tithe" ) with roots in 19th century America - albeit with some pretty crazy ideas. An ex-mormon once described it as like the "JW religion on magic mushrooms". Its probably a fair description.

Two of the Mormon missionaries , single guys in their early 20's from Utah , rented a room in a friend's home during their 2 year assignment to my town and I recall having a couple of interesting conversations with them. Whenever you took them out of their comfort zone ( for example , enquiring about why portions of the Book of Mormon are word for word copied from the King James Version despite allegedly being written hundreds of years previously ) they just got the rabbit in the headlights look and were totally disinterested , even to the point of hostility , in anything that caused any questioning of their faith and their religious leaders past and present.

I actually felt a bit sorry for the guys - they were anything but cheerful in their missionary work and I got the impression that it was something of a rite of passage and they were privately counting the days when they could go home to Utah , marry a pretty Mormon girl and have a family and a normal working life.

• Giordano
    Giordano

According to history Joseph Smith had 30 wives before he was shot to death in a city jail. Probably by pissed off ex husbands.

On the other hand: Brigham Young (1801–1877) was perhaps the most famous polygamist of the early Latter Day Saint movement, marrying a total of 55 wives

Dude's keep it in your pants for gods sake!!

The Mormons lie about their numbers. The lie part is that every person born a Mormon is still considered a Mormon even if they leave the religion.

So the Mormons can claim 18 million.

The JW's can easily claim a similar number except they don't count anyone who has left their religion.

Both of these religions have a nasty side......and a very nasty history.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit