Why more highly educated people are less into conspiracy theories

by Mickey mouse 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

Caedee: The problem is that historically conspiracies fail, someone always gives the game away in the end. People are very bad at keeping secrets because we are social animals.

This is true. The more people who are supposedly involved in an alleged conspiracy, the less likely it is to be true. It's the private one person conspiracies that are most effective.

So for example I don't believe that Eisenhower knew about Pearl Harbour before the attack because it makes no sense. A thwarted attack would have had the same effect as a successful one.

Londo: Eisenhower wasn't President in 1941. Or perhaps he was...and history has been covered up! :smile:

LOL! You're right. I don't know why I wrote Eisenhower. He was just on my mind for some reason. Regarding FDR's lack of motive for allowing the attacks to happen, I think that a fiery holocaust would have had a much greater emotional punch on people than a thwarted attack. But, whatever his motives may have been, the fact is that America had cracked the Japanese military code without their knowledge and long before Pearl Harbor. Unless the Japanese were super paranoid and never even hinted about the attacks in their communications, people in Washington would have known in advance what they were planning to do. It could have been that FDR simply did not want to risk tipping the Japanese off that their code had been cracked. Pearl Harbor was an acceptable loss if it meant ultimately defeating the Japanese.

TD: The idea that the Holocaust never happened is a conspiracy theory contradicted by a ton of evidence. There is no reasoning with someone who embraces a conspiracy theory, because every single piece of evidence is written off as part of the conspiracy.

The flaw in most holocaust denial arguments comes down to special pleading. They want people to accept their 'evidence', but they simply deny the credibility of any counter evidence. They'll accept the testimony of a few concentration camp inmates that it really wasn't so bad: that the Nazi officers didn't work them too hard and even arranged things like orchestras and talent shows to keep the inmates entertained. Meanwhile, the vast majority of survivors who testify to the cruelty of the Nazis are called liars. It never seems to occur to them that Nazis were just human beings whose behavior could range from nice to nasty and that, for this reason, a concentration camp could easily become a hell on earth if a bad Nazi was in charge. Creationists use the same strategy.

redvip: For example, the folks that believe that the twin towers came down because of explosives in the buildings. This is completely ridiculous. The amount of people required to do this would be massive. No way you can keep that a secret.

Not to mention unnecessary. If some powerful faction in the US government wanted the twin towers to go down all they would have to do would be to wait and let it happen. The 911 hijackers weren't the first people who wanted to blow up the WTC.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Importantly, Van Prooijen said his findings help make sense of why education can contribute to “a less paranoid society” even when conspiracy theories are not explicitly challenged. “By teaching children analytic thinking skills along with the insight that societal problems often have no simple solutions, by stimulating a sense of control, and by promoting a sense that one is a valued member of society, education is likely to install the mental tools that are needed to approach far-fetched conspiracy theories with a healthy dose of skepticism.”

...that is, until election year in USA happens.

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

I can't comment on conspiracy theories, but I know from my own experience that Witnesses are hugely into (if not more prone to falling for) pseudoscience, especially in the area of alternative medicine. I was constant surrounded by brothers pushing pills and potions and weird "magic" remedies on me overtime I had so much as a sniffle or minor pain.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Why more highly educated people are less into conspiracy theories.

Image result for donald trump in ufo

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill
    • President Eisenhower's foreknowledge of the Pearl Harbor attacks.

Huh?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I dont believe in most conspiracy theories but I do know the governments can read your mind through space satellites they've put into orbit, that's why I never go outside without my Aluminum foil hat.

https://www.listland.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Top-10-Most-Famous-Conspiracy-Theories.jpg

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

The thing with conspiracy theories is that a lot of them are based on bad evidence or ignore other explanations.

The Pearl Harbor attacks - the 9/11 attacks - Boston bombings (and others): our government knew about them, that has been established. To not do something about it is a patchwork of intelligence and political issues. Is the threat real, has it gotten to the right people, does everyone else take it serious? Many people not directly involved in the conflict thought the Japanese wouldn't do such thing and couldn't conceive of the notion of committing suicide for your country. Same for 9/11 - what are a bunch of sand-dwelling simpletons going to do against our military?

The problem with these conspiracy theories is that they simply ignore the fact that governments as a body are slow, stupid and broken and as much as we want the government to know everything, act wisely and protect, they are simply incapable due to size and inertia. Governments can't save you and can't keep secrets. If your theory is based on a smart government that requires cooperation between multiple branches and/or politicians and many people to keep their mouth shut, it's probably false.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta
    If your theory is based on a smart government that requires cooperation between multiple branches and/or politicians and many people to keep their mouth shut, it's probably false.

Very true. You also run into the problem of which information can be absolutely confirmed. Unless there is a Secret Psychic branch of government we don't know about, there is no 100% foolproof method of determining which threats are most likely to occur. We simply don't have the manpower to check everything.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

Maybe educated people are too busy enjoying their careers and making good money to care about such trivialities?

• Spoletta
    Spoletta
    Maybe educated people are too busy enjoying their careers and making good money to care about such trivialities?

I think there's a lot of truth to that statement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit