Demons. Afraid or not?

by punkofnice 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

When I was a Jobot I had the fear of Demons rammed down my throat.

Now I am without any faith, I don't have that fear because it seems irrational. A fairy tale from the minds of some weirdo.

Now I don't have to worry about buying stuff 2nd hand.

It always amused me how some Jobots would pooh pooh charity (goodwill to my American cousins), shops or 2nd hand shops in case Demons inhabited a jumper or a chest of drawers. Yet at the same time they'd buy a 2nd hand car.

Demons. Fear or not?

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Yet at the same time they'd buy a 2nd hand car.

A couple decades ago a family I knew claimed that their used car was possessed. They said that every time they tried to go to a meeting or in field circus that the battery would be dead. They even had the eldurrs come pray over it in some kind of JW exorcism. That didn't work, but my suggestion to clean and tighten the battery connections did.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Feddy- claimed that their used car was possessed.

Hilarious.

• Overrated
    Overrated

I think( I only think) there is good and evil in everything. It is hard to say if demons are here or not since I have not had any contact with any. Except my evil ex mother in -law could be said to be the devil in human form. If your fear the dark than expect to be attacked.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Christians: The greatest trick the Devil has ever pulled off is getting people to believe he does not exist.

Also Christians: It's demons!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Afraid of the Demons? It is joke-hova that one really should be afraid of--that thing uses extortion to get more out of people, and will not hesitate to send one of its angels to attack someone. And then to back off temporarily in exchange for more jokehovian service, only to attack later to extort even more service to that abomination.

As for possession of objects, I doubt it. Angels, on the other hand, can and do attack to extort people to get rid of things that are of use to them or that mean a great deal to them (we can't have anything to compete with serving such a lousy god, can we now?). And, if I would have had the Demons with me back through my life, I would not have been made and bound into an ordained minister of joke-hova--nor would I have to worry that I will be forced back in (and vaccinated) as soon as this bee-sting-sized disease backs off a bit.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Before I became a JW, I was never in fear of Demons though brought up as a Christian going to Sunday school as an Anglican and Congregationalist and not being a practicing one once I became a teenager .

As a JW I was indoctrinated to have some fear of Satan and his Demons ? { How would a God of love allow such creatures to wreak havoc on his creation beats me }

After leaving the JW`s I`m back to not having any fear of Satan or his Demons .

Come to think of it ,the Bible has never instructed the Jewish people or Christians to be in fear of Satan or the Demons ? right ?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Demons. Fear or not? - generally speaking, not.

I'll watch all manner of films that are about demonic possession. The Exorcist (1973) and Hereditary (2018) are very good films.

But I'd never play a Ouija board or anything like that. My reasoning is that I don't know, 100% for sure, if demons exist or not. There's no evidence for their existence, I hope they don't exist, but I don't know for sure. In light of this, I think it's pretty sensible to steer clear of Ouija boards and other efforts to contact spirits.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    LUHE - But I'd never play a Ouija board or anything like that.

I wouldn't bother for a different reason. Mainly, because it's all make belief and 'woo'.

I'll watch horror films but feel I've been cheated of a good plot twist when everyone dies in the end.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

looking back--i sometimes cant believe my old dad believed in demons / evil spirits etc. Dad was a very intelligent man--but was all to quick to trot out all the usual stories and tales that went round and round jw circles. iIs what i grew up with. I was seriously frightened by the whole nonsense in my pre teen years and onwards.

It was only when i renounced any belief in god that the whole skipload of rubbish went away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit