Billions to die at Armageddon?

by BoogerMan 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

Not according to this verse:

(Mark 3:28, 29) Truly I say to you that ALL things will be forgiven the sons of men, no matter WHAT sins they commit and what blasphemies they speak. But whoever blasphemes against the holy spirit has NO forgiveness forever but is guilty of everlasting sin.”

Unless of it course it should read like this:

(Mark 3:28, 29) Truly I say to you that all things will be forgiven JW's, no matter WHAT sins they commit and what blasphemies they speak. But whoever blasphemes against the Governing Body/Org has NO forgiveness forever but is guilty of everlasting sin.”

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@BoogerMan:

That verse there in Mark... that only applies to the 144K. All the rest of us are free game. For us, we can be BBQ for the animals for just about anything.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Millions of Jehovah`s Witnesses love the thought that billions of people are going to die at Har-Mageddon just as they did in the flood of Noah`s day,

They think they are going to walk into their mansions that they left behind ,not thinking about who is going to provide the necessary utilities to keep them functioning ,without a workforce to maintain them.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

It is being stalled so the population can increase. There are many unborn who will be deserving of death

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Ok, I'm sure you meant the original post tongue in cheek. Clearly the author was using those words contextually to mean anything could potentially be forgiven but something he calls "sin against the spirit". He never explained what he meant but likely it had to do with disagreeing with the author's take on Christianity in some way.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

In other NT verses the forgiving of sins by Jesus is linked to Jesus healing people as a result. Verses 13 - 27 are about Jesus Jesus preaching and expelling demons, and about the apostles of Jesus obtaining the authority to expel demons.

Many religious people of the first century CE believed that having certain diseases and being demon possessed (being what people back then considered to be demon possessed) meant that the diseased (or evil spirit possessed) person must have committed a major sin. (For an example of this view, see John 9:2.) They believed that many diseases (and some cases even what were thought of as people becoming possessed by an evil or unclean spirit) were due to YHWH/God punishing people for their sins. They also believed that people committing certain kinds of sins would result in Satan possessing people (or in Satan sending a demon to possess people). As a result, people having such views believed that if God forgived (forgave) people of such underlying sins, then by means of God (and possibly through a human servant of god) the health problem and/or evil spirit possession would go away.

To me Mark 3:28, 29 is saying that Jewish worshipers of YHWH/God, and perhaps even all people, - except for those who blaspheme the holy spirit, can have their sins forgiven. Thus to me those verses are not saying that only the 144,000 (whether a literal or symbolic number of anointed ones of God) can have their sins forgiven. This idea (at least for those having faith in Jesus) is also expressed in John 3:16 - 17. However I think that according to Mark 3:13 - 30 Jesus and his fellow anointed ones (at least Jesus and his apostles) have authority to forgive sins and to heal people.

Verses 22 - 27 and 30 make the point that when one attributes an obvious work of the holy spirit (such as the expelling of demons) [according to the gospel of Mark], to Satan (Beelzebub) and says that the human being (whether Jesus or his apostles or his other disciples) used to expel the demons has an unclean spirit, then one is blaspheming the holy spirit.

In contrast no one of the governing body of the JWs, despite claiming to be of the anointed, claims to have the gift of the spirit (such as the power to perform exorcisms) or heal people's bodies by supernatural means). Furthermore there is no evidence at all of any of the WT's/JW's governing body members ever having gifts of the holy spirit. As a result, criticizing the governing body (even attributing evil to them), from a biblical standpoint does not amount to blaspheming the holy spirit.

• blondie
    blondie

Of course, there is no scripture to support the idea that billions will die at the WTS appointed or anyone else's time for Armageddon to come. I always wondered as a child if small children (who had done nothing to be killed eternally for, and could not make their own choice) were killed at the flood. Being a child myself and having only one parent that was baptized a jw but did not live a very good jw life, I thought that I would die because of my mother's actions. The WTS has a convoluted "explanation" why a god that is loving would do this. Ezekiel says at 18:20 "The soul who sins is the one who will die. A son will bear no guilt because of the error of his father, and a father will bear no guilt because of the error of his son. The righteousness of the righteous one will be accounted to him alone, and the wickedness of the wicked one will be accounted to him alone." so that does not fit in with the WTS doctrine. I have researched this a great deal, until I realized is something the "bible does not say" but the WTS goes on to say what god would have said. (If you can do it without triggering yourself, search the WT Online Library with the phrase "the bible does not say" and you may or may not be amazed how many times the WTS uses that phrase and then proceeds to fill in what they think it means, and if the GB thinks it is true until there is a "clarification" or an "adjustment."

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Yes, billions

WT 1958 10/15 pp. 614-615 What Will Armageddon Mean to You
    As for humans upon earth, on the side of Jehovah will be all those fully dedicated to him and who are faithfully following Jesus Christ; compared with earth’s billions these are indeed few.... On Satan’s side will be all the rest of mankind, more than 99.9 percent, even as we read: "The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one." That includes all the governments of the world together with their supporters, the commercial, religious and social institutions.... Armageddon will be the worst thing ever to hit this earth in the history of man.
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

So nice to see you back Blondie 😊

• Gman2001
    Gman2001

They have constructed a myth about end times. What they promise is a dystopia, run by the GB. No electricity ...gas...infrastructure oh my.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit