The Purpose of Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa/Winter Solstice

by cruzanheart 12 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

This is my very first time celebrating Christmas, and I am enjoying the season just as much as my children. What I see is the joy of giving. I know there are over-crowded malls, harried parents, worried people with not enough money for what they want, or no money at all. But I think the point of this holiday season, whatever one's belief, is an opportunity to give, whether of time, money, or gifts. It's a chance to show the world that we love being alive and appreciate the people we are around. So, whatever you are celebrating this year, or if you're merely enjoying a cup of hot chocolate by the fire, I'd like to say Happy Holidays and I'm glad you're in my life! All of you have made a tremendous difference to me in the year and some months that I've been posting, and I appreciate each and every one of you (even Sword of Jah, who reminds me on a regular basis why I'm not a Jehovah's Witness anymore).

Love to all,

Nina

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Thanks. Merry xmas to you too.

It's all about being a human being in the middle of winter. It sucks, so we grin and bear it, and tell each other stories to give each other hope.

CZAR

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

It is a wonderful time of year. Have a great first Christmas together.

Love

denise

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    It's a chance to show the world that we love being alive and appreciate the people we are around.

Amen! You're a gem Nina! Tell that Chris he's a lucky you-know-what. But he probably already knows that!

Love,

Andi - of the living life to it's fullest class!

• Room 215
    Room 215

Cruzanheart, you're a peach; your posts are among those I most look forward to . While I have many fond memories of Christmases past in my youthful pre-dub days, I must confess to an ambivilance about the whole scene. I remember the lengths to which my oft-unemployed dad went -- digging really deep -- often too deep -- to assure that our Christmases would be happy ones. I can't erase the remembrance of so many have-nots in our old neighborhood and how they would press their little noses against the festive store windows laden with all manner of goodies; toys and good things to eat. I deplored the cynicism of avaricious merchants and the blatant overcommercialization of what was supposed to be a celebration of the Saviour's birth.

And it seems to grow worse every year; it used to be that the stores and Madison Avenue would at least wait until after Thanksgiving to kick off the Xmas excesses; it now seems to start sometime between Labor Day and Halloween!

• IWasDuped
    IWasDuped

Merry Christmas, Cruzenheart!

This is my first "baby steps" Xmas. We are still fading so no lights, tree, etc. But...we are doing stockings and gifts for the kids. Was talking to the neighbor about it and she said, "It is like you have been living on a different planet all your life!!!". That really describes how I feel. I am totally "holiday challenged" and dumbing my way through this. Wish I could have a full blown Xmas like I would love to have...maybe next yr. I will be thinking of you and all the others on the board during the holidays. Helps knowing some are in the same boat we are. Happy Holidays!!!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Thanks Cruzenheart, you stated "the Spirit of Christmas" beautifully......

and a MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL....

• Sassy
    Sassy
    Cruzanheart, you're a peach; your posts are among those I most look forward to

I agree. They are always positive and encouraging.

Re: The Purpose of Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa/Winter Solstice
    for me, I am enjoying the decorating and I have always loved to buy presents so I am just plain having a lot of fun. I still know that Jesus wasn't born on Dec 25 and I still know the holiday has "pagan" backgrounds, but plain and simple I am enjoying the feeling that comes with this time of the year. People are usually friendlier and there are parties and extra treats to share... It's just a fun time of the year.
  • Valis
    Valis

Merry XMAS Nina, Big T, Jackson my man, and the fair Jennie!! Best wishes for happy holidays!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• thetruthaboutjws
    thetruthaboutjws

merry Christmas/

happy Hannukah/Kwanzaa/

have nice Winter Solstice

to every one as well

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit