The recent "Special " talk ,how many times was the name JEHOVAH mentioned VS the name JESUS

by smiddy3 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The Jehovah`s witnesses have long charged Christendom`s religions falsely I might add of hiding the name of God Jehovah /Yahweh from their congregants ,by not using it or putting that name on the back burner so to speak ,and just using it minimally .

I`m just wondering if the Jehovah`s Witnesses /WTB&TS are actually guilty themselves of doing the very same thing with the name of JESUS.

In the NWT of the Bible 1984 edition I have in the section Bible Words Indexed they have the name Jehovah listed 80+ times ,

however the name JESUS is listed less than twenty times .

While I concede the bulk of the Bible is contained by the O.T./Hebrew scriptures and the N.T./Christian Greek Scriptures are a smaller portion of the Bible Jehovah`s Witness Theology do place a lot more emphasis on Jehovah than they do with Jesus.

Arent they guilty of trying to downplay the role of Jesus Christ in Christianity ? and exulting the name of Jehovah which by the way goes against the christian teaching .Phillipians 2:9-11

• zeb
    zeb

from my earliest days it used to bugg me the bros who used to try and 'out-jehovah' (or so its seems) others in the prayers they utter.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Arent they guilty of trying to downplay the role of Jesus Christ in Christianity ? and exulting the name of Jehovah which by the way goes against the christian teaching .Phillipians 2:9-11

?

11 Phil 2:11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

SBF, in the scripture you quoted, notice that it's "God the Father", something you would almost never hear a JW say. The writers knew God's proper name, but didn't casully use it, not just because of a superstition, but because they were adopted as sons of God, Christ's brothers. You don't constantly call your Father by his first name. JWs are confused about this due to the false teaching of an elite few who are annointed.

Also notice that we "acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father". It doesn't say we give God glory by acknowledging Jehovah. We glorify Him BY acknowledging Jesus. True, the Bible says that eventually God will be "all things to everyone", but until then Jesus is an intercessor. This is God's plan for salvation, not to jump the line, call Him on a first name basis and even say only one group and those who join it will get to be "True Christians".

"For you shut up the kingdom of the heavens before men. For you neither enter, nor even do you allow those who are entering to go in."

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The book of Acts presents Jehovah and the Lord Jesus as distinct, and it says that Christians are called out of the nations as a people for his name.

Acts 2:34 David did not ascend to the heavens, but he himself says, ‘Jehovah said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet.”’

Acts 15:15 And with this the words of the Prophets agree, just as it is written: ‘After these things I will return and raise up again the tent of David that is fallen down; I will rebuild its ruins and restore it, so that the men who remain may earnestly seek Jehovah, together with people of all the nations, people who are called by my name, says Jehovah, who is doing these things, known from of old.’

Additionally it is worth pointing out that the name Jesus itself points to the name Jehovah because it is a theophoric name meaning “Jehovah is salvation”, and that NT authors were aware of this etymology and its significance. (Matt 1:21)

So on each occasion where the NT states the significance of Jesus’ name it is not replacing Jehovah’s name but rather confirming its significance.

Acts 4:10 Let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel that in the name of Jesus [Jehovah saves] Christ the Naz·a·reneʹ, whom you executed on a stake but whom God raised up from the dead, by means of him this man stands here healthy in front of you. This is ‘the stone that was treated by you builders as of no account that has become the chief cornerstone.’ Furthermore, there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.”

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

SBF:

Everything you said is true and fully compatible with what I said. It still doesn't negate the fact that JWs don't know their proper place and don't give Jesus his proper place.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

The Jehovah's Witness organization came into existence for one thing and one thing only; To deny, mislead, and lie to their members while at the same time reducing Christ to a mere creature. The leaders are the Antichrist Paul warned about.

The leaders have attempted to supplant (and to a certain extent they've succeeded with 8+ million) the role of Christ and place themselves as the saviors of the world.

But just like Satan they will fail and fail miserably.

I truly wonder what each governing body member that has died thought as they succumbed to death and drew their last breaths. Did they cry out for mercy? Did it finally dawn on them where they'd be spending eternity? Did they plead with Christ to forgive them like He did with the criminal at Cavalry?

I pray that at least one of them did come to Christ during those last few hours of their lives.

Perhaps their hearts were just to hardened and they refused even in the end.

• waton
    waton

Can the special talk be listened to again? to check? Once was enough!

Certainly the speaker used the Father's name more often in that 45 minutes than Jesus is recorded to have done in 33 years.

May be wt wanted to counterbalance all that talk about Jesus next Friday with talk about the Father last Sunday.

Why do I say Father? If Jesus said so, so shall I.

not endorsing.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

SBF

Can JW`s or anybody else for that matter name one scripture in the New Testament where Christians were called to be Jehovah`s Witnesses ? ..... just one ?

However their are twenty or so scriptures that state Christians are to be witnesses of Jesus in the NT.

Acts 11:26b ' ...and it was first in Antioch that the disciples were by divine providence called Christians " ...by divine providence mind you , they were called Christians not Jehovah`s Witnesses.

I`m surprised at you SBF in using Acts 4:10 while acknowledging that " in the name of Jesus Christ...and that their is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved"

you resort to the meaning of Jesus name to imply that scripture is bearing a witness for the name of Jehovah .

That is dishonest .I`m disappointed in you Slim

Nowhere in the KI word for word translation into English published by the WT in 1969 of the New Testament is the Tetragrammaton found the four Hebrew letters for Gods name nor do they appear in Greek.

Yet that name Jehovah appears in the NWT of the bible in the NT.section. Another dishonesty.

Isaiah 62:2b ..."And you will actually be called by a new name which the very mouth of Jehovah will designate"

And that name proved to be "Christians" followers of Jesus Christ .Acts 11:26b ....by divine providence.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Why do you say “resort” to the meaning of Jesus’ name? Jesus’ name was highly significant for the early Christians. (See Matt 1:21)

Additionally, Jews in the first century used God’s name in the form Yaho. (See The Earliest Non-Mystical Jewish Use of IAW by Frank Shaw) So when the early Christians used the name Yaho-shua, they thought “Yaho Saves”. Jesus’ name did not replace God’s name, it pointed towards it.

The NT makes much more sense when we realise that the early Christian authors used God’s name and were fully aware of the meaning of Jesus’ name in relation to the divine name.

Consider how much more sense these verses make when we realise the first Christians used the divine name and appreciated the meaning of Jesus’ theophoric name.

Acts 3:19 Therefore, repent and turn so that your sins may be wiped away; so that happier times may come from Yaho himself, 20 and so that he may send you, in Yaho-saves, your long-appointed anointed one.
    Acts 2:20 The sun will become darkness,
    And the moon blood-red,
    Before the day of Yaho comes – that great and awful day.
    21 Then will everyone who invokes the name of Yaho be saved.”
    22 People of Israel, listen to what I am saying. Yaho-saves of Nazareth, a man whose mission from God to you was proved by miracles, wonders, and signs, which God showed among you through him, as you know full well

Verses that make much more sense with the meaning of the divine name and Jesus’ name acknowledged in the text are too numerous to cite. The teaching of the NT is that Jesus bears Jehovah’s name because Jesus is the means by which Jehovah saves. Focus on Jesus’ name, or being witnesses to Jesus is not in competition with being witnesses of Jehovah. For the early Christians, to be a witness of Jesus was to be a witness to the fact that Jehovah saves by means of his anointed servant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit