Profitable preaching

by MegaDude 17 Replies latest jw friends

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

The last church I attended is probably one of the largest in the so-called Bible Belt in the southern United States. I enjoyed attending there for a number of reasons: Relaxed attitude, no dress code, the music was superb, and I always felt uplifted after I went. One of the classes you take prior to membership is about tithing where they tell you it is expected you will give 10 percent of your gross income.

I felt if they could suggest a percentage for me to donate, I could certainly inquire as to what my hard-earned money was going for so I asked how much the preacher's salary was. I was met with a blank stare. "We don't give out any financial information" is what I was told. Didn't smell right to me.

Last week I found out the preacher's salary by chance. One of my workmates has a friend who works at a place where the preacher came in and applied for some credit. He had to fill out what his annual salary was. He passed the info to my workmate who passed it on to me. When I heard the amount I was shocked, but not surprised.

$400,000 a year.

Don't you think it's a bit much, not matter how wildly successful the church is?

• Valis
    Valis

I don't think preachers should ever be paid...guess that whole vow of poverty thing fell to the wayside huh?

Hey megs..did you see this article in the newest Observer?

http://www.dallasobserver.com/issues/current/feature.html/1/index.html

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

My, have they got a French branch? I'd apply right away (as a pastor, I mean).

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    $400,000 a year.

Ahhhh yes! The cup spilleth over!

10% ?!?!?!?! Damn... that's a well funded retirement account!

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Valis,

Good article. Too bad the story seems to repeat itself over and over.

I wonder what the church-attending crowd in Dallas would do if the local newspaper printed the salary of all the preachers in this area? We have some mega-sized churches here, one I know of that has over 18,000 members and a monthly budget of over a million dollars a month.

• Valis
    Valis

megs...think about all the food that kind of cash could buy for the homeless and poor of Dallas... Dude I just had a thought...let's start a business where our workers come and hang out once or twice a week for a good time, but they are also investors so we get free labor and a steady tax free cash flow. We then open businesses that will lower our TCO and bam! We also employ our worker/investor in said businesses...you see how this works? I bet we could find some existing models to ensure our success...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• AJN
    AJN

OMGG - that converts to nearly 3/4 million NZ$ - what on earth warrants that kind of salary for a clergyman?

• heathen
    heathen

It never shocks me to see these non prophit organizations and religions that are sitting on millions and sometimes billions of dollars . I think Pat Robertson is a billionair and some of these A-holes use all sorts of sick little games to get money . God was even going kill them if they don't come up with a billion dollars , gag , now that I would like to see. I really hate the ones that show pictures of people starving to death around the world and claim they have some sort of relief fund . Of course they never have enough even tho they live a life shameless luxary .

• La Capra
    La Capra

I think the salary for clergy should depend on a number of factors, including the size of a congregation, and what the additional duties are besides the "preaching." But the salary should be comparable to what a teacher with similar training and experience makes in the area. Most Church organizations require that their clergy be properly trained in a broad area, from doctrine to pshychology to business management. These folks likely have invested a fortune in their educations (because those seminaries are not cheap), they are entitled to a decent livelihood. Of course some clergy are the "ceo" of the local congregation, and if the local congregation is quite large, with lots of community functions and activities that must be overseen, then the job becomes harder and harder, and centered around management and business. If the reason a church is raking in the bucks is due to the preacher, and that is what the preacher has demanded, then good for them. I have always said that if people are willing to pay for it, then who am I to complain. If I don't want to pay for it, then I won't. Both the rabbis in my area live in beautiful homes in very nice neighborhoods and I know that they own (maybe not outright). They both have spouses with excellent salaries also. By the way, my congregation suggests (not requires) a percentage much lower than 10%, and it is based on net, not gross. Shoshana

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Valis,

If I was into only making truckloads of cash I would start my own religion (Megatology ) and watch the Cayman Island bank accounts rise.

One thing is for sure. If you act confident and act like you know what you're talking about and say you have the answers to life's questions, people will follow you.

(sound of sheep bleating)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit