"A Date Which Will Live In Infamy"

by SanFranciscoJim 14 Replies latest jw friends

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

Today is Pearl Harbor Day.

Just so we don't forget the events of December 7, 1941........

FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT'S PEARL HARBOR SPEECH

(December 8, 1941)

To the Congress of the United States:

Yesterday, Dec. 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

The United States was at peace with that nation and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with the government and its emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific.

Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in Oahu, the Japanese ambassador to the United States and his colleagues delivered to the Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent American message. While this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or armed attack.

It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time, the Japanese government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.

The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian islands has caused severe damage to American naval and military forces. Very many American lives have been lost. In addition, American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu.

Yesterday, the Japanese government also launched an attack against Malaya.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked Hong Kong.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked Guam.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked the Philippine Islands.

Last night, the Japanese attacked Wake Island.

This morning, the Japanese attacked Midway Island.

Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

As commander in chief of the Army and Navy, I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense.

Always will we remember the character of the onslaught against us.

No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost, but will make very certain that this form of treachery shall never endanger us again.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that that our people, our territory and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces - with the unbounding determination of our people - we will gain the inevitable triumph - so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, Dec. 7, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese empire.

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

SFJ -

This day is as important to remember as 9/11. Thanks for reminding us!

growedup

P.S. Have you heard any more on when your book will be hitting the shelves?

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    This day is as important to remember as 9/11. Thanks for reminding us!

You're welcome! You are absolutely right! My mother and grandfather both served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. It seems that the more our seniors pass away, the fewer there are to remember the tragic events of this day. If we are capable of forgetting the lessons taught us on December 7th, how long will it be before the events of September 11th merely become another page in history?

With Bin Laden and his Al Qaeda minions still roaming the planet, terrorism is (unfortunately) alive and well. We dare not forget these lessons!

P.S. Have you heard any more on when your book will be hitting the shelves?

I've been wondering the same thing! The publisher claims that the art editor is still working on a cover design for the book. Maybe sci-fi covers are harder to design -- who knows? I don't know why they're dragging their heels. I was hoping to have the book out before Christmas, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. I may call them this week, but since I'm a first-time book author, I don't want to push the issue.

Believe me, as soon as I hear something, everyone is going to know!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    If we are capable of forgetting the lessons taught us on December 7th, how long will it be before the events of September 11th merely become another page in history?

With Bin Laden and his Al Qaeda minions still roaming the planet, terrorism is (unfortunately) alive and well. We dare not forget these lessons

I totally agree. December 7th, 1941 was a wake-up call for that generation who wanted, for the most part, to be isolationists. Thanks for the reminder.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

From what I understand no one really felt FDR was up to the task on this date 6 decades ago. But he rose to the task and has been remembered as a great leader. I fell the same will hold true for GW Bush.

My grandfather served as a Marine in WW2. He would never talk much about his experiences. I can't imagine. Our family makes a big deal out of visiting his gravesite every memorial day. It's awe inspiring to see all those graves marked with flags.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

A day which made us realize that our oceans could no longer shield us.

Thanks, sfjim, for reminding me. I should write a letter to a soldier.

CZAR

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    From what I understand no one really felt FDR was up to the task on this date 6 decades ago. But he rose to the task and has been remembered as a great leader. I fell the same will hold true for GW Bush.

I agree with you, Stacy. I do not want to turn this into a political pro-Bush/anti-Bush debate, but I will say this: When the events of September 11th occurred, Mr. Bush proved himself able and competent as a leader, much in the same way FDR did during Pearl Harbor. I may not agree with much of the current administration's policies, but this is one thing he did do right, and at the right time. He will be remembered in a positive light for his leadership during that crisis.

It is my sincere hope that our country remembers that the dangers of December 7th and September 11th loom just as large today as they did in 1941, if not moreso. IMHO, we need to concentrate our efforts on the complete annihilation of the Al Qaeda organization, and we need to be looking a little harder at imminent nuclear threats such as North Korea.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

SFJim... in the years before Pearl Harbor, FDR had been shoring up our European alliances through programs such as the Lend/Lease Act. After the declaration of war, he didn't only fight Japan, but also joined our European allies in their struggle against Nazi Germany.

George Bush, on the other hand, squandered the international goodwill towards the U.S. that followed 9/11, and created rifts in the alliances that we needed more than ever.

There's a lot more to showing oneself "competent as a leader" than merely giving good speeches and looking Presidential.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Jim that wasn't my intent. Contrary to popular beliefs I certainly don't support Bush on every issue.

we need to concentrate our efforts on the complete annihilation of the Al Qaeda organization, and we need to be looking a little harder at imminent nuclear threats such as North Korea.

If it's possible I certainly agree. They need to be gone. Wiped off the face of the earth. I wonder if the AlQaeda is a more imminent nuclear danger than North Korea even? North Korea would certainly use the bomb, the AlQuaeda would use it today if they had no. No negotiations with those terrorists.

I understand your fear, that we don't remember the mistakes made in the past. I'm sure for this generation 9/11 will be their pearl harbor. We obviously didn't remember 12/7 well enough.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Jeez, just for one day, this day, December 7th, let's remember it's significance and not get into bashing the American President.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit