AI Generated Art - Impact on Artists

by Simon 22 Replies latest social current

• Gorb
    Gorb

I'm scared about it.

G.

• Simon
    Simon
    how do those who have done this feel about what "you" have created? Do you feel like it is your artwork?

Yes, because I learned how to use it, I studied the tech and how to get the best out of it, I spent the time experimenting with different models, different parameters, and different prompts.

Did modern artists create their pictures themselves? They didn't make the paints and canvases like artists used to, maybe they use a camera they didn't invent to capture an image to paint ...

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

enoughisenough: Do you feel like it is your artwork?

That's a good question. I think that the level of effort or involvement dictates that for me. I'll use a different application as an example: DAZ3D, which lets you use 3D models and build scenes, which you can then render or animate.

The application comes with some pre-built models, textures, and scenes. You can easily create a rendered 3D image by clicking a few buttons. You can even make it unique by moving the camera slightly, or changing the properties of the light, and so on. In other words, you can do very little work and get a fully-rendered image, or even a short animation. Is this your work? I'm on the fence about it. On the one hand, someone else created all of the parts and did 99% of the necessary work. On the other hand, the specific one you just built would not exist without that button press. And if pressing a button doesn't make the art yours, what of photography?

Now, there are people who will update the 3D items or build their own, and who will carefully set up the lights and the cameras and then export the finished scene to Photoshop. Just as some photographers go far beyond just point-and-shoot. I think those people put a clear stamp on the work, to the extent that it becomes a familiar style. Maybe that is when the work is really theirs.

I'm not sure where that line is. But I grew up drawing (and, very rarely, painting) and so I am used to doing the physical work of creating art from thought to final form. These days, I use digital tools extensively. Is the final product still mine? I think so. But I know some artists who would hesitate to say that what I produce now is my work. I think we're at the start of a long debate that will probably grow contentious in various communities.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Terry, that array of AI artwork is impressive. I wouldn't be ashamed to hang some of it on my wall.

• Terry
    Terry
    enoughisenough2 days ago
    well it seems impressive! how do those who have done this feel about what "you" have created? Do you feel like it is your artwork?
    _________

After I left Jehovah's Witnesses and moved from Texas to California, I got my first non-crap job.
    It was as an artist in a gigantic company TRIANGLE and it 'manufactured' all sorts of "Art".
    Statuary, canvas paintings, you name it and we made it.
    From there I moved on to an Etching studio in Culver City and produced limited Edition prints for 5 years. After that, I worked at a Beverly Hills Galleries and sold limited edition prints and original art mostly to Hollywood actors and industry peripheral types.
    After that, I worked for Los Angeles Art Projects and segued into becoming an ART CONSULTANT for CREATIVE GALLERIES close to MGM STUDIOS were I sold art to set decorators.
    Last of all, I became an art agent and schlepped a portfolio of lithographs, colographs, woodprints, linocuts, and etchings to Design firms and Corporations.
    I said ALL THAT in order to SAY THIS:

ART = artifice.
    FINE ART is FINished art (serves no other purpose than to exist in and of itself)
    DECORATIVE art is what mmost people have in their homes. The majority is fake/manufactured simulation of real art.
    Starving Artist art is mass produced in Taiwan and China by people who earn not much of anything and it sells whole sale for about one dollar. It is retailed for 25 times to 50 times that amount.
    GRAPHIC ART is a whole nuther thing mostly commmercial art.

USING TECHNOLOGY to create an image is as legitimate as using a silk screen, block of wood, stick with animal fur glued to it, engraved steel offset, or any other device.

The human brain i.e. "the mind" creates VALUE and reads it into whatever image their emotions respond to. I've spoken to auctioneers and they are very cynical people. Millionaires who collect Art
    drive up the auction value by nefarious means and the Art Magazines go along with the con.
    Bottom line?
    If I walk into a police station and describe my assailant to a sketch artist, the result is only as good as my description - right?
    Using TEXT to create A.I. produced art is about on par with that.

The rest is vanity and public opinion.
    That's all my opinion and your opinion will be mileage that varies :)
  • Terry
    Terry

FatFreek 2005

FatFreek 20052 days ago

Terry, that array of AI artwork is impressive. I wouldn't be ashamed to hang some of it on my wall.

Thanks!
    I have been tempted to go ahead and paint/draw some of those images but - at this far remove in time from my Art "career" I stop myself and laugh. What a stereotype I would fit!
    What I might do is create some lithographs by sending my favorites to a studio and having it reproduced photographically. But - once again - I'm kidding myself..
    Feel free to use any of those generated images any way you feel like it if it makes you happy, FF.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

If I use a hair paint brush to make a painting.. is that my art?

If I use photoshopt to fine tune a picture I took is that my art?

If I use a computer to create graphic art is that my art?

If I use software to create my art is that my art?

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

AI generated art Check out this fascinating video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0AqlK_gCbU

• Terry
    Terry

Looking to create dramatic B&W images this time

Then, back to color

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

Terry, the 4 th b/w image is pretty cool

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit