Catholic encyclopedia misquote

by alcyone 13 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• alcyone
    alcyone

I do not know if this misquote has been discussed here already.

New Catholic Encyclopedia says this about JW:

"Judge" Rutherford introduced important changes in the Witnesses' creed and transformed the congregational structure of the sect as it was under "Pastor" Russell into a rigid theocracy. The third leader, "Brother" Nathan H. Knorr, gradually replaced the offensive convert-making tactics of the Rutherford era by suave manners that have gained the Witnesses their current reputation as one of the best-behaved groups in the world.

see here: http://www.encyclopedia.com/article-1G2-3407705846/jehovah-witnesses.html

The statement is not very positive, is it? Watchtower being true to its reputation quote-mines it multiple times in the literature:

*** g 4/07 p. 27 What Does It Mean to Be a Christian? ***
    For instance, the New Catholic Encyclopedia acknowledges that Jehovah’s Witnesses are known as “one of the best-behaved groups in the world.”

I am wondering if there is even one example of WTS not quoting out of context.

• Room 215
    Room 215
    Overall, it seems a fair statement if necessarily generalized for brevity.
  • dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    I had not seen the encyclopedia entry in the OP, but I am a little surprised by it. It is comparatively biased for an encyclopedia.
  • TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"It is comparatively biased for an encyclopedia. "

All encyclopaedian articles are written by persons, and so reflect what the author wants to state. You find the strangest opinions on various religious and political groups in encyclopaedias.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

The Org claims to have ownership over "truth" yet they are the biggest liars.

I find it funny that one of the recent magazines on their web site had a cover article about Honesty.😷 I mean really? Every time it seems they quote a source they are wrong in some way especially if it favors the witnesses.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

What does the WTS encyclopedia say about the Catholic Church I wonder?

• steve2
    steve2

It is not a misquote - but an example of a partial quote or quote out of context.

A misquote would be having the statement say something different from what it originally said.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456
    it isn't a misquote at all and not even out of context
  • Terry
    Terry

How does an encyclopedia make a statement about what is "known"?

Wouldn't this sloppy statement be better served with a citation of quotations to the effect?

Sounds like a JW press release accepted as proof of a true fact, to me.

• steve2
    steve2

it isn't a misquote at all and not even out of context

Fair enough Ruby. I could be persuaded.

The only point of difficulty is that the quote was from the latter part of a sentence in which the first part of the sentence (not quoted) expressed some unflattering conclusions about JWs earlier history (e.g., 'the offensive convert-making tactics of the Rutherford era') .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit