Fewer christians (and other religions) and more with NO RELIGION in Australia

by fulltimestudent 14 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks shepherdless. You da poster. Look forward to your piece on it. No pressure. 😎😌

• darkspilver
    darkspilver
    In 2001 those marking 'No Religion" had grown to 16%.

And in 2016 those marking 'No Religion" had grown to 29.6%.

Interesting - for some context:

I understand that in 2016 in the above Australian results, 9.6% did not answer the question / left it blank

The results for the England/Wales census was:

Between 2001 and 2011 there has been a decrease in people who identify as Christian (from 71.7 per cent to 59.3 per cent) and an increase in those reporting no religion (from 14.8 per cent to 25.1 per cent)... with 7.2 per cent not answering the question in 2011.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/religion/articles/religioninenglandandwales2011/2012-12-11

Therefore, six years after the last England/Wales census, it looks like figures for both match up?

• possum
    possum

Thanks, Smiddy, I put no religion on my census What would we do without the ABC I love it especially Phillip Adams in the afternoons. Aussie Possum

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

In the JW congregation that covers my area in the 2016 Australian census over 10% of the members had actually changed from the Jehovah's Witness religion (from the previous census) to "No Religion" - all because of child abuse within the congregation. This is a very real albeit sad fact.

Below is a photo of the relevant part of my actual Australian 2016 census form.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I saw a post on Instagram today from a uber-righteous pioneer sister who quoted the statistics about languages from the census, and followed with a comment:

" if you want to expand your ministry and serve Jehovah more, learn a new language like mandarin "

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit