Hawaii- Victim Abused by JW Elder Awarded $40 Million

by Newly Enlightened 13 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Newly Enlightened
  • ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

These judgments seem to keep getting bigger and bigger. It couldn't be happening to a more deserving organization.

I hope the $40 million holds up, or at least a big chunk of it, on appeal.

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

'The plaintiff's claims against Apana and the church were resolved through a confidential settlement, but she then proceeded to trial on her damages claims against Apana.'

"other elders discouraged the plaintiff from reporting the sexual abuse to police'...

After this, church elders continued to dissuade the plaintiff's family from reporting the sexual abuse, telling them to "move on."

https://news.yahoo.com/abuse-victim-makaha-church-elder-160200476.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A spokesperson with the Jehovah's Witnesses issued the following statement to KITV4 about the settlement:

“Out of respect for the privacy of all involved, we do not comment on the specific allegations involving victims of abuse. However, we note that the judgment was against Mr. Apana, the person who perpetrated the abuse. Jehovah's Witnesses condemn the repugnant actions of anyone who victimizes children. Further, elders in our faith comply with reporting laws and do not discourage victims or their families from reporting abuse to the police.”

'elders do not discourage victims or their families from reporting abuse to the police.' - it wasn't always that way, that's only recent!

https://www.kitv.com/news/crime/abuse-victim-in-hawaii-awarded-40-million-in-church-sex-assault-case/article_03cd8864-276c-11ee-87e7-cf15d4d4d96e.html

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Plaintiff's lawyer: "The case was initially against the Jehovah's Witnesses and that part of the case settled"

The $40 million judgment is against the individual, not the WTS. Even if it's upheld, she probably won't see much. The settlement with the WTS would almost certainly include an NDA, so she cannot reveal the particulars, including any amounts paid.

The settlement avoids the risk of a large award and (more important to the WTS) a precedent being set regarding their liability in such cases. The publicity hurts a lot, though. More victims may be encouraged to step forward and speak up, or file civil suits of their own.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

'elders do not discourage victims or their families from reporting abuse to the police.' - it wasn't always that way, that's only recent!

And I wonder if those words are sincere, representing a genuine change, or if they are simply meant to mislead the general public. Even though Watchtower reps say words like that, elders can still have their tricks to discourage it in private, such as saying "you wouldn't want to bring reproach on Jehovah's name, would you" - what is said behind closed doors in a Kingdom Hall is often different from what Watchtower and the elders say publicly.

I suppose time will tell but I am doubtful.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Apparently not only the abuser...how are they going to collect from him in jail?

https://youtu.be/AlaegTfekzc

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Oh yes. A kind loving clean organization with severe sanctions on any leader who abuses hus power. Add training and vetting and humanity. I wish someone could have a disclosed settlement.

We men know the darker id we possess. Most of us know how to suppress the darker thoughts.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

I was at Bethel with a bro from Hawaii. He was related to an Apana....I wonder if its a relative. Yikes

• was a new boy
    was a new boy
    how are they going to collect from him in jail?

CIVIL NO. 1CCV-20-0000390 (Non-Motor Vehicle Tort) = no jail

'2. Plaintiff’s allegations against Defendants MAKAHA, HAWAII CONGREGATION OF JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES, MAKAHA CONGREGATION OF JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES, KINGDOM HALL, AND WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF NEW YORK, INC., (“Church Defendants”) were dismissed by stipulation following a settlement of the Plaintiff’s claims against the Church Defendants on or about January 30, 2023'

https://www.davislevin.com/documents/673-FOF-COL-Order.pdf

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

Let the harlot Watchtower fall and its resources be devoured by all the nations, that all its victims may rejoice...

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you resemble whitewashed graves, which outwardly indeed appear beautiful but inside are full of dead men’s bones and of every sort of uncleanness. In the same way, on the outside you appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness."

"In response he said to them: “Do you not see all these things? Truly I say to you, by no means will a stone be left here upon a stone and not be thrown down.”"

“As for these things that you now see, the days will come when not a stone will be left upon a stone and not be thrown down.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit