Totally Out Of Place, But I Didn't Realize It!

by Divergent 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Divergent
    Divergent

As a JW, I did fit in, but I didn't belong (like the picture above). I was oblivious to this as a kid & in my teenage years, but I realized this subsequently after leaning TTATT & when trying to fade. I DID NOT BELONG!

The only reason why I fit in was because I went along with everything & tried my best to do all that was required of me. Attended every meeting, went out in service regularly. Supported the congregation as a whole & helped individual members in various ways. Joined in congregational recreational activities, made friends with brothers + sisters both locally & from around the world. But yet, something was missing. I was not completely + genuinely happy & did not feel God's blessing in my life

When I learned TTATT & started to fade, everything fell apart. The friends I thought I had were NOT friends in a true sense. Apart from "the truth," there was nothing much we had in common! Once you are not into "spiritual things," that was it. I couldn't relate to them, & neither could they relate to me! Conversations were shallow, superficial, & awkward. It became extremely difficult to carry on any conversation with them! Such a big difference compared to my "worldly" friends who I can freely converse with at ease about almost any topic imaginable!

For any of you lurkers out there who think you fit in well, think again. You might fit in, but do you BELONG? Just put it to the test & you would know. I once fitted in, but now I know I don't belong to this cult & I am PROUD of it!

• Je.suis.oisif
    Je.suis.oisif
    When I learned TTATT & started to fade, everything fell apart. The friends I thought I had were NOT friends in a true sense. Apart from "the truth," there was nothing much we had in common! Once you are not into "spiritual things," that was it. I couldn't relate to them, & neither could they relate to me! Conversations were shallow, superficial, & awkward.It became extremely difficult to carry on any conversation with them! Such a big difference compared to my "worldly" friends who I can freely converse with at ease about almost any topic imaginable!

So very succint. You've just verbalised my internal struggle. And I was baptised at 27! It's nearly a year since I attended my last meeting. Boy doesn't time fly when you're having fun.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great thread!

Yes, the many supposed friends witnesses think they have are conditional on being a clone of one another and a puppet of the current whims of the GB.

One can not have personal views on anything, either biblical or faith related, or about personal life choices.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I was born in, and in for 58 bloody years, so I "fitted", for the same reasons listed in the O.P.

And once I had found out TTATT and left, I too found that I did not "belong" in that miserable high control "religion".

But boy, was it a joy to find I really belonged in the REAL world !!!

There are so many lovely, genuine and fascinating people in the real world, and so many who are like me, fun loving and like to laugh all the time, we simply have no time for doom and gloom.

Life in the real world is so good, and just gets better and better !

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    I have to say, there were times I felt like Luke Wilson in Idiocracy.
  • Divergent
    Divergent

Phizzy:

But boy, was it a joy to find I really belonged in the REAL world !!!

There are so many lovely, genuine and fascinating people in the real world, and so many who are like me, fun loving and like to laugh all the time, we simply have no time for doom and gloom.

Life in the real world is so good, and just gets better and better !

Exactly how I feel right now! =)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit