Watchtower Propaganda Techniques

by Ding 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ding
    Ding

Is there a book (books, articles, etc.) that systematically examines and exposes WT propaganda techniques? If not, do you think such a book would be useful in helping people escape the borg or in recovering from their own indoctrination?

I'm thinking about things like:

1. Constant repetition

2. Parroting back answers in Watchtower studies

3. Use of "evidently," "obviously," or "reasonably" in the literature as a substitute for evidence.

4. Use of loaded phrases such as "All Bible believing Christians know that..." or "If we are genuine lovers of Jehovah and his word, we will..."

5. Constant diatribes against other religions and "the world"

6. The use of punishment and rewards as motivators to keep JWs in line.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Ding:

This might help.

A Study of the Persuasion Techniques Used by Jehovah's Witnesses and the Watchtower.--PDF!

Petra!
  • Ding
    Ding

Thanks, Atlantis! Looks very interesting.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

"Combating Cult Mind Control" by Steven Hassan

It is actually about his involvement with the Moonies, but it is textbook perfect for how JW's operate. JW's are the "poster child" for Cults.

I put off reading this for a few years when I first awakened, but when I finally did so, I WAS SHOCKED! It cannot be explained away by mere coincidence that JW's fit perfectly in the Cult mold.

• Giordano
    Giordano

The True Believer by Eric Hoffer. Never mentions the JW's but read the following from his book:

"All active mass movements strive, therefore, to interpose a fact-proof screen between the faithful and the realities of the world. ...by claiming that the ultimate and absolute truth is already embodied in their doctrine and that there is no truth nor certitude outside it. ...To rely on the evidence of senses and of reason is heresy and treason. It is startling to realize how much unbelief is necessary to make belief possible. What we know as blind faith is sustained by innumerable unbelief's.

Not only does a mass movement depict the present as mean and miserable - it deliberately makes it so. It fashions a pattern of individual existence that is dour, hard, repressive and dull. It decries pleasures and comforts and extols the rigorous life. It views ordinary enjoyment as trivial or even discreditable, and represents the pursuit of personal happiness as immoral.

This is what every cult tries to do........ including the JW's.

• was a new boy
    was a new boy
    3. Use of "evidently," "obviously," or "reasonably" in the literature as a substitute for evidence.

Evidently, Charles Taze Russell fell head over heels in love with the word, 'evidently'. Using it 127 times in 1902. While The Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses top usage of the word was 115 times in 1991 according to

https://comingoutamycage.github.io/JW_Lib_Analytics/HeatmapWords.html?words=evidently&publication=All&normal=1

• was a new boy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit