Why did I take the red pill?

by stephanie61092 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• stephanie61092
    stephanie61092

Ignorance really is bliss and reality is harsh.

Just having a bad, emotional day I suppose.

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

We had a choice....or did we?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I have often felt that life would be much simpler still if we had taken the Blue Pill. "JW Wonderland" had been mostly good. Cognitive dissonance blocked out some of the smaller "bad" feelings that came along.

In answer to Mark's question [above], I think the red pill was somewhat forced on us. Things happened that forced the WTF moment on us. We simply could not just look the other way (or turn the other cheek). Most often I've discovered that if you "turn the other cheek, you'll just get punched in that side of your face as well.

As Neo discovered, there is no going back after accepting the Red Pill.

Doc

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

As a born-in, no choice. I must continue to play along to keep friends and family.🙄

DY

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    The red pill was forced down us as we saw injustice and one messed up contradiction after another. One can only get best on for so long until we ask why. What amazes me is how so many more are not waking up they too have swallowed at least part of The red pill.
  • TimDrake1914
    TimDrake1914
    I feel you. I have those days as well. But, ironically enough, I blame the WT entirely for waking me up. They instilled in me a desire for truth, and to stand up for what is right even when everyone else is against you. I never imagined that, one day, I would find the truth outside of them, and then have the need to stand up against them even though everyone inside is now against me in principle for believing the real truth.
  • Hadriel
    Hadriel

@Steph I feel the same way at times. Almost better to not know from the perspective of dealing with family and friends that have not come out from under the influence and mind control. It really does suck at times.

Think is that if you know the truth then you control your own path whereas not knowing you are completely controlled. So at times it may be frustrating just remember you are in control no one else.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    It was simply my nature to choose red. I was too curious to do otherwise. I don't miss it either.
  • Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

(I never was a JW).

"Ignorance really is bliss and reality is harsh."

May I offer these thoughts from a non jw perspective, and not directly relating to jw experiences (not that I discount the harm that the WT experience can cause).

Most of us, as we go through life, have to deal with stuff - personal tragedies, problems, etc., and come to the realisation that life can be harsh. It's certainly not 'fair', nor even reasonable sometimes.

The 'reality' of life is always there, even if we don't see it. I was a polce officer for 30 years and even now when I talk to friends who had more 'normal' or perhaps 'sheltered' lives I realise that their experiences (or lack of them) make a difference between us.

I think the important thing is how you (one) deal with the realisation that life can be harsh, cruel, and so on.

If you let it grind you down and take you over, you lose so much. There is so much about life, opportunities, experiences to celebrate and it's a waste to lose those and let the harshness take you over.

This is not the place for war stories, but I'll tell one. When I was much younger I went to a fatal road accident. A young child had been thrown through the windscreen and died (thankfully almost instantly) from horrific injuries. At the end of my shift I went home, picked up my son from his cot and realised how lucky I was. And I cried a bit.

Life is harsh - in many ways we're all lucky to be here. And it pays to recognise that and make the most of it.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    The org says there is only evil outside of the org. They say no one can truly love you unless they also love Jehovah. I took the red pill and realized that these are lies! Blatant lies. That is not a harsh reality, that is an optimistic and wonderful reality. There is real good and real love outside of the org.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit