Australian bethelites helped the war and soldiers during W.W.2!!

by Witness 007 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

McGillveray, or something similar, and Canadian in origin, I have heard said. Whatever, during those years, this person was a frequent visitor to Randwick Racecourse.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Even back in the early 1950s, I never heard that about him. But I have it from a worker at the Ingleburn venture that the brother in charge ran a betting shop, and spent all and every Saturday afternoon at this personal venture

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Even back in the early 1950s, I never heard that about MacGillivary.

But I have it from a worker at the Ingleburn venture that the brother in charge ran a betting shop, and spent all and every Saturday afternoon at this personal venture. So that could be the source of that particular story.

The young witness that studied with me, came from a family that had been witnesses from before WW2, and who lived about 2 km from Strathfield Bethel. If MacGillivary had been involved in gambling etc, I think that this family would've known about it. Another source- the former bro. who looked after the accounting for the branch. His wife and daughter were still witnesses and I went out with the daughter a few times - none of them mentioned MacGillivary as a gambler.

Jws back there, that had been witnesses during the war, all knew about the commercial activities and at least some things that were plainly wrong, but none of them ever mentioned MacGillivary as a gambler. My sources included brothers who had worked in the printing shop, and the brother who'd been very prominent in Newcastle and the 2HD radio station and its scandals. At one time, when I was a special pioneer, my wife and I had lived in a flat owned by a sister who'd been a Jw through all those years. Her daughters had pioneered and went to Gilead and on to missionary assignments. She knew and told stories of the "bad" days - but never once about MacGillivary and his gambling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit