Watchmen HBO Series Mentioning the acutal Watchtower by JW's

by 720Reddog 3 Replies latest jw friends

• 720Reddog
    720Reddog

WATCHTOWER

The Watchtower is a Jehovah's Witnesses publication, but it’s fitting that it would feature in the Watchmen series. In this episode the Watchtower by jehovah's witness is displayed.

"It's interesting to me cause it's an obvious display of cultish type beliefs. It's episode 5 of the watchmen on HBO. Just a thing i noticed. "

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Yes, I was going to mention this but took the precaution of checking to see if someone might have beaten me to it. YOU did, 720Reddog!

Congratulations!

WATCHMEN is based on a popular "graphic novel" (comic book) of a few years ago that then became a Hollywood movie. The cable-TV series on the USA HBO network is based on the original WATCHMEN, with added characters and some plot direction that was not in the original comic book.

It's a good show, and I'm sure the WTB&TS sees the invisible but mighty hand of Jehovah using popular media to inform the public that the Apocalypse is only minutes away.

>yawn<

I'll bet at the next few meetings ALL the rank-and-file JWs will be instructed to subscribe to HBO and watch Jah's mysteriously unfolding will.

By the way, Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias helped with the construction of the UADNA orbiting space platform.

Look on my works, Watchtower, and despair!

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

There was a similar scene in the comic book, back in the 80s.
    It's 1985, the Doomsday Clock is at one minute to Midnight.
    A magazine kiosk owner gets approached by someone who buys a newspaper, and then the customer says,
    "Now that I bought one of your publications, perhaps you would like to read one of ours? You see, we believe that the world is going to end very soon, and..."
    "What! No way! That's not going to happen!"
    "Oh, well, then, we'll be on our way..." and the pair ride off on bicycles.
    "Lousy fanatics! Always wanting to be the first to say "We told you so!"

The artist gets the details weirdly wrong. The magazine says "Watchtower", but it has a cross in the logo. The bicycles are too "Mormon-ish" a detail as well.

In the episode on HBO this past week, it shows the character getting off of a church bus with several other white shirt and tie teens, coming from Tulsa on their "mission" to save people on the sinful East coast (Hoboken, NJ, to be precise!). The are at a street carnival.
    The magazine itself looked kinda weird. It was thin, like a tract, with the Watchtower logo across the top. The headline reads "Are You Prepared?!", and the graphics are of the typical paradise picture, complete with a panda on the cover (much like the tract they had many years ago).
    He gets confronted by a gang of kids (these are called "Knot-Tops" in the comic, due to their distinctive hairstyle), but a female in the group rescues him from being assaulted, and leads him into the Hall of Mirrors. She starts asking him if he really believes the world is going to end, and then begins to take off his clothes, saying "You don't want to die a virgin, do you?" He weakly protests, even as she strips him of all his clothes, and then, it turns out she's just setting him up. She grabs up all his clothes, swears at him, and runs out, leaving him naked.
    As he gets angry at himself for being such a "stupid sinner", the "Midnight, 11/2 event" happens, and the fact that he is in the mirror building saves his life.
    It's also pretty obvious that the event, which is apparently the result of a dimensional portal being opened up, and an awful, giant alien creature entering the center of Manhattan and exploding, has changed his religious beliefs in the aftermath. Actually, mentally, the guy is mess as they portray him in his 50's.

Tim Blake Nelson (a fellow Oklahoman!) did an amazing job in this episode. I hope he gets an Emmy for it!

• Dagney
    Dagney

Ahh I was hoping somebody mentioned this.

I'm behind but finally watched the HBO series. I was shocked to see the "Watchtower" featured in the episode.

The funny thing to me that isn't mentioned here is the reference to pandas. The character mentioned the pandas in trying to witness to a guy. Then his girlfriend overhears him and says to him "tell me about the pandas."

To me there was a JW very involved with the writing of this episode. I kid you not but I actually studied with a girl who picked up tract off the ground with the panda on the cover, and she became a JW.

Anyways, I listened to the podcast about the episode and the writers mentioned that the character was a "Jehovah's Witness".

Good series. Now I get it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit