Let's all play a game! What does this passage of the Bible tell us about Jehovah?

by stuckinarut2 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stuckinarut2
  • Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    Tor1500 » Jehovah got rid of you or allowed you to suffer until you came back to him. Self centered, wouldn't you say.

No, I wouldn't. It's one thing to slam the JWs, but the God of Israel was actually compassionate, thoughtful and profound. Most JWs and ex-JWs should take a course in Old Testament theology. Remember that the ancient Hebrews were a covenant people. YHWH never destroyed people without warning them beforehand. And the people of Canaan were some of the worst. I have no problem with God destroying peoples who burned infants alive or took part in decadent sexual practices with the forced prostitution of women.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”
    Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Yes, and you quote Dawkins to prove it.

Sorry, I'd be more impressed if you'd taken the theology course.

Here's a review of Hitchen's work. Many are the same arguments as used by Dawkins.

Daniel C. Peterson
    God and Mr. Hitchens

https://youtu.be/slQEE1BAqmA

Richard Dawkins and The Question of Translation

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Sociopath murderer, seems to also enjoy watching people die for him when someone needs a blood transfusion and enjoys watching families break up.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I have no problem with God destroying peoples who burned infants alive or took part in decadent sexual practices with the forced prostitution of women.

According to the Bible, god decided to purposely curse all of future mankind based on what Adam and Eve did, rather than to either forgive them or kill them off before they had any children.

All through the Bible there are instances where he killed people or punished them for the wickedness that was caused by the imperfection he cursed them with.

All these thousands of years later, according to the Bible, he is still planning to wipe out just about everyone on the planet rather than choosing to lift the original curse or to forgive humans of the sins we, through no fault of our own, inherited because he allowed it to happen.

If you or I did anything close to that to our children, we'd be thought of as monsters.

• tepidpoultry
  • doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

I would respectfully disagree with you @Cold Steel.

I HAVE taken courses in OT theology and it doesn't change the fact that God did not always warn people before destroying or king them - remember Uzzah for example? 2 Sam 6:7. And how exactly were the tribes that the Israelites conquered warned by God? He did not speak to them did he, he only prophesied to or warned the Israelites.

You say you have no problem with God destroying people who practised forced prostitution, but it was God himself that condoned such practices. How do you account for the Israelites being instructed by him to take the virgins for themselves as spoils of war? For what purpose other than rape would this be for. Legitimised by forced marriage. Do you really think that a young girl would willingly marry and have sex with a soldier that just slaughtered her whole family in front of her eyes?

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

So I got about 4:30 in and Daniel C Peterson starts out with the best of counter arguments - to attack Dawkins and/or Hitchens' MOTIVES! I hope it improves from there!

• tor1500
    tor1500

@Coldsteel and All,

You are correct he did warn them. When you really look at the OT it was God trying to get the Israelites to leave other gods and worship only him. But they insisted on their own way. God always forgave them kind of like a husband or wife that gives their mate constant chances after being always forgiven. So I was not saying God is self centered in a way that many speak of God on here. Some are mad at God and that's personal but if you read most of my comments I don't see God as bad. God should be self centered because he created everything.

When God killed women and children it was explained that it was merciful, if the parents were killed and the babies left alive, and all the adults are dead, who will raise the babies/children. So that is how it was explained to me. In my mind I think. Oh my.....how could you kill innocent children. Then I think maybe God was being merciful.

Oh by the way. I think someone mentioned Uzzah. I think that's the guy who touched the Ark and God struck him down. First the Ark was supposed to be carried a certain way and God gave instructions of who should be allowed. No one was supposed to touch it. When I first read the account, I said Uzzah was only trying to keep the Ark from falling but God killed him. That is why it's good to read the Bible with an open mind and you will be able to connect the dots.

Those who believe in God, remember he sacrificed his son for us and he didn't have to. Back in the garden he could have got rid of those two and created another couple. But I'm kind of guessing it would turn out the same way. Can't give us free will. We can't handle it. Ever go into an empty theater, open seats everywhere, free will, but got to many choices to pick from. Most humans are followers.

I don't see God as a butler so when I wake up every morning I have a laundry list of things I want him to do. But as I matured I ask for forgiveness, peace of mind, to change what I can leave let go of the rest and hope God handles it and that I can endure what life throws at me. Help me to be a better person than the day before.

Tor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit