WT's Impact on Children

by Sea Breeze 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

It is extremely hard for me to believe that any parent (except possibly for a extremely tiny percentage of parents) would take the entire contents of their minor child's bedroom outside as punishment. The idea is ludicrous to me that a JW parent, or any other one, would do so. Not only would the punishment be extreme, but it would be a lot of work for the parents - even if only twice (though if only twice it would be feasible). Imagine them taking dressers and bed frames outside (note that Sea Breeze twice said "everything" was taken out of his bedroom).

Sea Breeze since you say you stopped believing the WT when you "turned around 14 or 15" does that mean you never got baptized as a JW? I forget if in an older post you ever said you got baptized as a JW, though I remember that you said you were raised as a JW. I got baptized (several years after 1975) shortly before age 16.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

LongHairGal, while I was a grade school child I would sometimes play outside on my block with kids from my side of the block and the ones on the opposite side of my street. Many times they would harass me (only one of them was raised by JW parents) and sometimes even try to start a fight with me, and I never knew why. I tried to get along with them. To the best I could determine it was either due to racism (I am a multiracial brown skinned person and they were all white) or because I tried to always be very good (to the best of my ability) and tried to avoid getting into fights and tried to avoid doing other things which the JW religion says is bad (such as playing with toy guns or celebrating pagan holidays or using 'foul' language).

My bedroom French windows had a latch on them to hold the windows shut but no actual lock. On many days I would have the windows open to let in cool breezes. There was a tall bush below the windows. One of the kids, a very bratty 'worldly' kid who caused troubles for me climbed up on the bush and reached out to come into the open windows! I closed the windows and he went away. Another time, but when the windows were closed, the troublesome kid not only climbed up the bush, but he also opened the windows and reached into (or nearly into) my bedroom while I was in my room! I thus pushed him away and closed the windows and then I never saw come up to my second story window again. But, one day either my Mickey Mouse watch (from my bedroom) or my sister's Minny Mouse watch was missing from the house (I forget which, maybe both happened) and I presume he stole it (or them).

One day on the grade school play ground 'worldly' kids took terms kicking my butt and when I would chase after one of them, one of them would kick me from behind. In high school a kid kept on jumping onto my back in gym. I would bend over and he would slide off my back and then get back on and the process would repeat. Why in the world did he act that way? Admittedly for a time even a Hispanic boy raised by JW parents caused me some problems, but thankfully in high school he didn't cause me any problems. In high school he was an A student.

A number of times I when I would open my high school locker (which had a built-in combination lock) I would find that some things (pencils?) were stolen from it and that some unwanted things had been put into it. I wondered how that could happen and who did it. Small things can be slid through slits on the door and the bottom and top of the door can possibly be bent open while the door it locked. Maybe the kid knew how to 'crack' the lock. I later bought a combination padlock and put it on the lock and started keeping my things in a hard to reach place of the lock (near the level of the locks) and that solved the problems. It wasn't until college that I no longer had any problems with 'worldly' people in school.

In one banking office job I had, about 10 years after I graduated from college/university, one non-JW young person (probably a non-Christian) started verbally harassing me (but carefully done in a way which probably couldn't get him in trouble, and he made himself a friend of the boss) multiple times a day after he learned I was a JW (I mentioned to him and the other two co-workers sitting close to me that I don't celebrate holidays and birthdays) - holidays and birthdays were celebrated in the workplace and thus my non-observance of such was noticeable. I think the guy was a non-Christian (and probably an atheist) because when I first met him he told me that he got a Christian woman to quit work and that I was her replacement (I and he were working through a temporary agency).

A number of other times I had problems with 'worldly' people, but hardly any problems with JWs or Kingdom Hall attending children of JWs. When in a group of JWs I always felt safe (including at district conventions) but not always when in a group of non-JWs.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Note: In the last paragraph of my prior post I ran out to time to revise it to say the following. "A number of other times I experienced harassment (including racial insults) and threats of violence with 'worldly' people, but nothing like that with JWs or Kingdom Hall attending children of JWs (except for some harassment from one preteen child of JWs). When in a group of JWs I always felt very safe (including at district conventions) but not always when in a group of non-JWs."

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Hi DISILLUSIONED JW:

I’m sorry about the bullying you received in childhood at the hands of non-Witnesses.😔

Bullying is universal it seems..I went to Catholic school. I experienced bullying to some degree in the neighborhood as well as in the schoolyard. Children are really cruel as you have seen. I had kids make fun of my name and one of my siblings in the earlier years. In seventh grade or so, I wasn’t accepted by the ‘cool girls’ since I looked younger than them. (I was 5 in first grade so was actually younger than my classmates.). Of course, I got ‘respect’ when I started to develop, etc. Yes, it was the good old ‘School of hard knocks’ which is Life and it’s a journey nobody but you can take.

Anyway, I got through my childhood and went to Catholic high school. I certainly had my fill of nuns after that. I joined the workforce after graduation (did some community college). Some years after I got involved with the JWs.

Yes, it was a rocky road. Even though I cannot know what it was like to be raised a JW, from what I have heard I have no regrets that I was raised outside it..It may not sound like much, but I had self-esteem, parents who expected me to get somewhere in life, friends, holidays, etc.. I also picked up on bits of practical information that many JWs either don’t have because of being so sheltered - or have to learn at a late date!

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Regarding 1975 I do believe that the WT made at least one false claim, namely that it marked 6,000 years of human existence. That is because I now know that anthropology (including archaeology) definitely show that humans - even our specific species of humans - have existed for more than 100,000 years! Furthermore, they show that even that the ancient city of Jericho dates back more than 10,000 years ago! Likewise, hypothetically speaking, if the biblical creative days of Genesis really took place each of them must have been millions of years longer than 7,000 years each.

Regarding Jericho, a city inhabited today and now under the jurisdiction of the Palestinian Authority in the West Bank, see https://www.travelujah.com/touring/ancient-ity-of-jericho-marks-10-000-years and https://www.britannica.com/place/Jericho-West-Bank . The Britannica article says the following.

"By about 8000 bce the inhabitants had grown into an organized community capable of building a massive stone wall around the settlement, strengthened at one point at least by a massive stone tower." Think about it folks; a literal watchtower - perhaps the very first one - existed by about 10,000 years ago. For the WT religion isn't that ironic?!

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

My Jw upbringing was a horrible experience. It took years of professional help to shake off the damage that Watchtower caused. Watchtower 's ideal of dealing with depression is to do more for Watchtower and that will magically take care of your depression. Don't bother going to a professional because they don't know what they are talking about and if you do we will shun you. After going to a professional, it was made clear that Watchtower is toxic and is the problem.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Thanks LongHairGal for sharing with sympathy for me and for sharing your experiences.

Foolednomore, please tell me some of the things which the professional told you about the WT being the source of your depression. My devout JW mother for many years was a psychiatric nurse at a large hospital.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze since you say you stopped believing the WT when you "turned around 14 or 15" does that mean you never got baptized as a JW?

Baptized at age 24 after being on my own. I didn’t believe or trust any JW elder or GB but I still believed the theology.

I figured the people running the org was the best Jehovah could do.

I remember my JW girlfriend asking her 5 year old niece what would happen to worldly people at Armageddon. The toddler answered, “They will be destoyed”.

She had trouble saying her “r”s. It was so “cute” the she asked her a few times just to her say , “destoyed”. It gave me the creeps.

True story.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

During a video recently there was a YouTube’er that mentioned being raised as a witness caused an Armageddon-like feeling within themselves when things go wrong in life. As if God himself is punishing her.

Took her till adulthood to put this pieces together.

Being raised as a witness is tantamount to child abuse.

The born-in child can’t opt-out. They are forced into the cult and forced to rise in the ranks, depending on their parents.

Some even into adulthood are verbally abused by parents if the child decides to leave.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Being raised a JW wasn't "bad" for me, per se...

...but I sure don't feel like I grew up a "whole" person.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit