jw family loves to ask df'd ones for money!

by Ghiagirl 56 Replies latest jw experiences

• TheListener
    TheListener

I'm sorry to hear about all the drama you have to deal with. You would think that being disfellowshipped and completely ignored by your family you would at least be sheltered from the drama. But, it's not so.

I think it's kind of you and your husband to consider loaning them money, especially after the way they've treated you and your son. There must be a lot of pressure that not giving them the money they need will make them view you even worse than they do already. That sucks. My fear would be that giving them the money won't change how they feel about you even one iota and that once you do it this time you have set the precedent and you will be doing it again, even if you right now you say it's a one time thing.

Best of luck.

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

Ghiagirl,

I truly empathize with your circumstances and your dilema. For over a 20 year period, I gave my JW family tens of thousands of dollars in cash and resources (e.g. laptops, cars). Here is summary of the circumstances:

- My family, like many JWs, do not know how to manage money and have not been planing for the present let alone the future.

- My family, like many JWs, believe that the DF'ed are just another source of "unrighteous riches" that they feel they can tap into.

- As I was DF'ed, I felt for many years an overbearing sense of guilt that compelled me to buy their attention even love. The only time they contacted me was when they needed something and I, being the fool, would be so grateful that it never occurred to me the nature of the relationship.

- When I was no longer a JW, I focused my time and energy on working hard in building a safety net for myself. Therefore, I had resources that I could share and felt selfish not to do so.

This was a perfect storm for exploitation.

I would not presume to offer you advice because your circumstances may be unique. However, here are some thoughts to consider from my experience:

1. Even if they tell you it is a "loan" for "this one time", please be prepared that they may never pay you back and continue to keep asking for more in the future.

2. Don't let them trade on your guilt. You are not responsible for their poor financial decisions and, if you feel like they have the moral high-ground, please remember that they, unlike you, are supporting a criminal organization.

3. Don't be fooled into thinking you are "their last best hope". Their indoctrination excuses and even encourages a parasitic attitude to "worldly" social services (e.g. my family are experts at milking social services, which, by the way, you and everyone else pays for in taxes). In addition, they can try and tap "the friends" they constantly fawn over.

4. Have a clear view of what sacrifices you will have to make vs. the ones they will have to make. For example, my family asked me for money but they had cable TV, took vacations, and did not live to a budget (On a side note, in my book, if you don't have a budget, you are broke and just don't know it). If you have to go without cable, or vacations, and adhere to a budget, they should as well.

5. If after all of this you decide to help them, set boundaries and condition that you can live with. For me, it was telling them that they would not receive any money from me unless we worked towards having a normal family relationship. I have not heard back from them in 4 years.

My family, like many JWs, are not bad people. They simply have poor planning and financial skills, have been conditioned to use people not in their in-group in any way they want, and are convinced that the end will come soon enough that their problems will go away.

Like I said, I truly empathize. It is not easy walking the tightrope between wanting to help people you love and enabling their ongoing self-destructive delusion. I for one, will no longer pick up the tab.

• mfrederick
    mfrederick

Please do not help them. How can they possibly shun you and ask you for money? Tell them they need to find more work. If they have work but don't make enough money, tell them to cut back as has been stated before. If they have not done that they don't deserve your help.

If they have done so and there still isn't enough then they should go to school and learn better skills.

Sorry to be harsh but they should be asking those in the Kingdom Hall for help.

• blondie
    blondie

How do they expect you to give them money if they won't have physical contact with you....mail it...how is that any different than sending a letter, e-mail, text, etc?

HYPOCRISY....love of money over love of you.

Unless they are starving, living on the street, or seriously ill, I would decline it; even then I would suggest some in the congregation that can help them or secular organizations.

"I'm surprised you have contacting me. Supposedly df'd people are like dead people. You can't ask dead people for money."

Don't let them make you feel guilty. I have a feeling they have manipulated you in the past when you were a jw. Here's a chance to end it.

• AnneB
    AnneB

Take collateral. Make them give you something of theirs that is worth at least, if not more, than the value of the loan. Don't give it back until the last penny is repaid. A lending institution would do this and that's what you are to them. Question: why don't they use a formal lending institution? Have they tried? Can they prove it? Question the bejesus out of them before you move forward and hand them any money; that's what would be done in a more formal setting. This is about money, not hearts and flowers. Do the business thing.

Take control of any loan by doling out the funds yourselves, don't just hand them a chunk of cash. Whatever you do, don't sign or co-sign anything for them. If they genuinely need help they'll be open with you and glad their needs are being met; they won't stumble over who's doing the controlling.

If they won't agree to terms such as these, just treat 'em like mushrooms (keep 'em in the dark and feed 'em BS!)

• OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn

To echo Rebelfighter, this does happen in the nonJW world but it doesn't have the extremely ANNOYING additional feature of coming from people who believe they are morally superior to you and shun you to prove it (when money isn't involved, of course). Strong Haiku is also correct about how it often plays out (you fund their fun while making cutbacks to do so).

It's ultimately your decision but I'd say do only what you feel comfortable with. Don't think it will win you any points. Don't lend money you can't afford to lose. As a general rule, think of it as a gift, not a loan no matter how much they say they'll pay you back... broke and financially irresponsible people are struggling to pay their own bills. Paying back someone, especially someone they don't respect, is not high on the list of priorities. I know it's hard to say no to family, so do what you're comfortable with and don't feel guilty about drawing the line there. All the best :)

• Ghiagirl
    Ghiagirl
    I love so many of the valid points made!!! Good comebacks. They are a giant family too and they are all witnesses, yet all of them are broke! Hmmmm. I see a pattern. Still considering what to do but definitely making me think. Thanks everyone!
  • StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

The following is what I am thinking about sending my family the next time they ask for money:

"I would be happy to give you money but I have no assurance that it will not go to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. Based on current news, they are being investigated for a number of criminal actions and losing civil action suits in court. I, in good conscience, cannot possibly align myself with, or contribute to, such an organization."

Time to fight back, folks...

• elderINewton
    elderINewton

Since my family and I have faded we had a similar request. There is no winning in these types of requests, its all about minimizing the impact on you and your family.

I gave some money, in the form of grocery cards, but I made damn sure that every member of the family knew I did it. Then added that is what true love shows, and I'm Jesus would have done the same.

It pissed them all off good. I laughed, figured it was cheap thrills for $100.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

"Are you saying Jehovah hasn't provided enough for you? Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope things turn around for you. I will pray for you. See you guys some other time!"

(Turn to spouse and start to walk away while saying)

"Honey, we really need to be grateful for all we've been given."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit