How About.....YOU Doing the Shunning?

by titch 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• titch
    titch

Hello, Folks: About a month ago, Stan Livedeath started a post about. How many of the readers here on the site have been or are now being shunned by friends/relatives? Well, let's turn that around a little bit: How many of the readers here have purposely shunned a Witness, when they encountered them?

I did just that, years ago, around the late 1990s. I was walking around a major department store here in Southern California. As I was walking around, I came up behind a Witness who I had known. (In fact, this was the man who offered me my very first paid job, working for his small janitorial business, and I worked for and with him, for many years.) I recognized him by his short stature, and the usual "suit" that he wore to meetings. But, upon seeing him, I stopped, turned around, and immediately walked over to another part of the store, before he could see me, and shun ME! I don't think that he ever saw me in that store, that day. So, that was my experience with shunning a Witness who I had recognized. So, has anyone else had a similar experience? Best Regards, Everyone.---Titch.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TITCH:

I don’t know if this is so much about YOU shunning a Witness…OR avoiding the awkward situation when this person finally saw you. Maybe you were making sure HE didn’t have the satisfaction (if you want to call it that) of shunning you. Maybe it would be true shunning if you thought to yourself: ‘oh that’s brother so and so who is disfellowshipped so I have to make it a point to ignore him’.🙄

I’m a long time ‘Fader’ and I don’t believe in going out of my way to avoid JWs in stores. At this point after so many years we might not even recognize each other. The only people I avoid are crazies or if I sense trouble.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Ditto LHG.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Oh yeah! lets show them we can be mentally abusive like them... its a display of love... so they can see their ways and come back..

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I know that these jokehovians will try forcing me back into the cancer, get me vaccinated against the wimpiest disease on the planet, make me throw away all my quality items (and sun-worship decorations) and get cheap walmart crap (and bibles) to worship joke-hova, force me to study the filthy hebrew language, pious-sneer, and eventually go to Africa to waste the rest of my life on a mission. (Good thing I have books on the French language for when they catch up with me.)

The hope is that none of them understand German. They start squeaking about my going to boasting sessions and serving that beady-eyed monster of a god they have, I start speaking in German. I doubt any of the hounders in this area actually understand that language, even enough to look up the words on their devices (and that assumes we even have the Internet at all by then).

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I find the best way for me is to go about my business as usual. If Jobots want to shun me then I don't care. It's their loss in missing out on my ebullient and marvellous wisdom of years.

I don't think tit for tat works.

Some Jobots know my situation and still say, 'Hello.'

Let's just get on with life and forget all this tribal nonsense.

Yes, I loathe the Organisation(tm) because they are grifting perverts, but in my daily life I don't give it much thought.

The world is full of idiots and scum. Let's just rise above these dimwits.

• joao
    joao

I don't shun. I smile with a broad smile, show how well I am. I even force them to speak to me sometimes! I reply to their shunning with all my happiness!

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I wouldn't do it-- it's just not my personality. I would probably smile and nod, or even wave. They are the ones who limit themselves by shunning someone who never did them any wrong. If they feel compelled to turn away or pretend they do not know me, I get it-- I would have done the same at one time in my life. But I would feel a bit sad nonetheless.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Avoiding an awkward situation or unpleasant person is more of a personality trait than shunning. People I extremely dislike or make me uncomfortable, JW or not, I will avoid meeting up with. I just don't need that negative energy in my life.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

If you know they don't want to engage with you why would you try to force a confrontation? Would I leave my place in line at the grocery store? No, I'm an adult and know not everyone wants to be my friend. If they initiate a nod or hello, sure, I'd reply in-kind. As a shop owner I had JWs in who didn't recognize me. Their money was as good as anyone else's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit