I realize that this is kind of personal, but

by stillin 15 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

STILLIN:

As far as I am concerned, Spirituality is in somebody’s mind and heart and nobody can presume to judge somebody else. It can also be love of the natural world and peace and harmony.

But, according to the Jehovah’s Witness religion from what I remember: ‘Spirituality’ was adhering to arbitrary rules and regulations and outward appearances (which can be faked)..Their definition of ‘spirituality’ was like the Pharisees. The religion also felt it was something THEY had the right to label or not label somebody as.

Somebody such as myself who worked at a full time job was considered ‘not spiritual’ by some hypocritical Witnesses...I was expected to pursue poverty and not prepare for the future..Glad I ignored THIS nonsense!

• zeb
    zeb

"So and so is very spiritual.." how oft did I hear that.

Yeah right.

In wt speak means

• they attend all meetings,
    • wear the right clothes
    • make comments in the wt according to the 'party-line'
    • use the right tone of voice
    • do all the required field service
    • never speak of anything 'worldly'.

summed up, are seen to be compliant and obedient to all wt demands.

• stillin
    stillin

Thank you, all. Some very poignant, astute thoughts here. We have all been "messed with" in whatever our spiritual paths might have been. I hope the best for all of you.

• RayoFlight2014
    RayoFlight2014

A brief summary of my trauma induced "spiritual" experience....

Several years ago I was admitted to the nuero high intensity ward suffering from autoimmune encephalopathy, while there, I had some intense and vivid hyper alert experiences with all my senses that I remember clearly today, as if it were a moment ago.

For the first day or so, everyone appeared to be talking and moving in slo-mo; I remember being amused by this. It was like my brain had levelled up and I was processing everything at light-speed, I was super aware and I was becoming overwhelmed with stimuli as I was absorbing everything - I could smell the peach jelly that was being brought up the lift from another level- hear someone typing on a keyboard out in the hall - nurses and doctors discussing a patient's pathology in a closed observaton room - and pain....omg...., I was given a needle injection daily of clexane that felt excruciatingly painful, but, (after I recovered) was that painless I asked the nurse if she had actually administered the dose.

At the same time I felt a strong emotional connection with the other patients in the ward, especially two who had suffered from stroke; I could understand them clearly while the medical staff and others struggled.

This was my personal extraordinary "spiritual" experience, that I have absolutely no evidence to show for.

RayoFlight2014.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    What does being a "spiritual person" mean to you?

When I was a brainwashed Jobo, it meant doing more, more, more for the organisation. Obey all the rules and not even thinking naughty thoughts.

Now, I think 'spiritual' is a meaningless term. There is no 'spiritual' anything.

We are merely thinking animals that eat, sleep and ultimately die. We have a need to fill our lives with things of meaning before we go into oblivion. All is futile.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

What does being a "spiritual person" mean to you?

Watching the Sun rise at dawn

doing the same thing at sunset

Viewing the sky on a cloudless moonless night viewing the stars .

Viewing documentaries of Nature ?

Animals on planet earth

The oceans and all that live there.

The eco - system of this planet in all its glory and diversity .

Humans and there nature

And I reject the God of any religion.You can be spiritual without the need of any GOD .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit