Dutch (ex) JWs: Online survey sexual abuse within JW Netherlands by Utrecht University

by jochie 11 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jochie
    jochie
    SInce today Dutch (ex)JWs are asked to fill out an online survey by Utrecht University with regard to (child) sexual abuse.As chairman of Reclaimed Voices I call on all Dutch speaking (ex) JWs to fill out this survey in case you were a victim of abuse OR in case you know of someone else that was abused within the Jehovah's WitnessesWith your participation you contribute to an important investigation that is carried out.

link to the survey: https://usbo.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4HkMbQjHlM0uhMh
  • smiddy3
    smiddy3

Following a motion that was adopted in the House of Representatives on 3 July 2018, as researchers at Utrecht University we conduct an independent investigation into experiences with sexual abuse within the Dutch Jehovah's Witness community. We investigate the way in which people who report within the community are treated. Among other things, we examine whether the closedness in the community of Jehovah's Witnesses contributes to whether or not to report experiences with sexual abuse.

Thanks for supplying that link jochie and i hope many will take advantage of this secure online survey that will protect the identity of those who participate and protect there privacy.

• George One Time
    George One Time

After the special talk this weekend. An announcement was made to the congregetion that victims of sexual abuse or those who know them can participate in this survey.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    After the special talk this weekend. An announcement was made to the congregetion that victims of sexual abuse or those who know them can participate in this survey.

You're much too late for April Fools...

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

During the recent circuit convention the Bethel representative said in one of his talks that everything the media say about JW and child abuse are lies, and staying faithful means rejecting these lies. He claimed children of JW are in the safest possible environment to grow up.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Anders...

I'd love to send the video footage of Geoff Jackson's ARC testimony to this fucktard, particularly the bit where Jackson - for all intents and purposes - admits that there's a problem.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    I'd love to send the video footage of Geoff Jackson's ARC testimony to this fucktard, particularly the bit where Jackson - for all intents and purposes - admits that there's a problem.

I think the Dutch JW leaders are feeling the heat of the fire...this appears to be the first time they flat out mentioned to JW members the attention the media have for JW abuse issues.

The guy who gave the talk is high up enough that he probably knows he's talking shit. No doubt the GB already sent letters to all branches regarding the abuse issues, and he's probably aware of those letters.
    No doubt this bro noticed the dozens policemen raiding his Bethel office looking for evidence re. child abuse.
    No doubt this bro knows one of the GB came to The Netherlands to discuss child abuse issues with the Minister of Justice.
    So he probably already knows about the ARC, perhaps even saw Jackass' testimony....still didn't help him much.

Otherwise I know the guy and he's nice enough. He just lives and works in a cult compound...

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Wow George One Time I take back my words about April Fools. You were right. They really did read a letter! Can't believe they actually did that.

https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nieuws/artikel/4678986/jehovahs-getuigen-oproep-leden-meewerken-misbruik-onderzoek

• careful
    careful

WOW, "remarkable" indeed, as the news article puts it. I'm relying on a google translation since I have zero knowledge of Dutch. Is this guy rogue or is the GB orchestrating something here? It's difficult to believe they're coming clean in Holland. This is certainly worth watching!

Google translation of picture caption:

The board of Jehovah's Witnesses Netherlands has called on its members to participate in research at Utrecht University into sexual abuse within the organization. The appeal is remarkable because the denomination normally avoids contact with non-ecclesiastical authorities.

The rest:

The call is included in an internal letter in the hands of RTL News.
    Personal choice

In the letter, which was sent to all departments last week, the board asks members who are victims of child abuse to fill in a questionnaire on the Utrecht University site. He is commissioned by the Ministry of Justice and Security to investigate abuse within Jehovah's Witnesses.

"Of course participation in this study is a personal choice," the board writes in the letter. "Nevertheless, we hope that this will give Utrecht University accurate and balanced information about how our organization responds to abuse."

According to sources within the church, the letter was read during meetings in the church buildings. Jehovah's Witnesses was unable to respond to this message on Monday, a RTL News spokesperson said.

Under attention

Jehovah's Witnesses have recently been discredited because they only prosecute perpetrators of child abuse internally and do not report them to the police and the judiciary. The organization also refuses to hand over documents on internal court cases to the judiciary. Therefore, last November the police raided the headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Kees van den Bos, research leader at Utrecht University is 'naturally' happy with the appeal from the board of Jehovah's Witnesses. "We have been in touch by email over the past few weeks and have asked them to bring our research to the attention of their members. It's nice to hear that they have done so now." The researchers were not involved in the preparation of the letter.

Victims

The investigators have now received 'a few hundred serious reports' about abuse within Jehovah's Witnesses. Van den Bos could not say whether the last call led to new reports.

The Reclaimed Voices Foundation, which represents victims of abuse within Jehovah's witnesses, is also "positive" that the Jehovah's Witnesses point their members to this investigation. "We hope that active Jehovah's Witnesses who are victims of sexual abuse or who are aware of a situation will participate in the investigation," says President Raymond Hintjes.

The research at Utrecht University came about following a motion from the House of Representatives. The goal is to see how Jehovah's Witnesses deals with reports of child abuse. Anyone who has experience with abuse within that church can report to the investigators until 1 June. The intention is that the final report can be published in the autumn.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    careful - "... The goal is to see how Jehovah's Witnesses deals with reports of child abuse..."

Ten bucks says their conclusions include include words like "woefully inadequate", "negligent", and "exacerbating".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit