Did you encounter any dishonest/shady business owners inside your local Kingdom Hall?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

One elder I knew very well made a career of taking advantage of the brotherhood. It was sort of a captive market for him, selling them cars, computers, etc, or renting one of his many rentals to them. I can't say it was illegal, but just seemed wrong and a misuse of a position of trust.

• Overrated
    Overrated

Longhairgal- Well Said. Life is about choices and if you follow bad advice don't expect me to feel sorry for you and don't criticize me for my choice.

• WokenfromJWcult
    WokenfromJWcult

I bought a truck from an elder and only drove maybe 30 miles and the engine blew. I sold it to a junk yard for $200. When I approached him , he gave me the amnesia business, and avoided us from then on.

• WokenfromJWcult
    WokenfromJWcult

I recall seeing (Im gonna mention his name since he's a public figure) Dave Del Dotto in our KH right in front of us. I talked to him and he invited us to go to one of his real estate seminars, so we went and were in the audience when he was filming his info commercial. BTY our appearance was later seen in one of Sinbad,s movie, Houseguest. We were enticed by his spill and bought his books and tapes and was a total rip off. He later went bankrupt and is now selling wine at his vineyard in Napa valley. Total crook and I heard still attending meetings.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Most surely. A building contractor in one of the upper mid-west states who was audited and found guilty of tax evasion THREE times. He would bid a home at a higher price so that he could order twice the materials needed, bill the customer, then build himself a "speck" house with the "surplus" materials and pocket the 100% profit. He was sued multiple times by customers for breach of contract, and lost every single time. He always convinced brothers to go to work for him, then refused to pay them and would bitterly condamn them when they tried to get paid, fire them, and then lie about it and claim they willingly quit so they would not be able to claim unemployment benefits.

He trained his greedy daughter well, as she and he husband now engage in the same business practices after he had to run to Texas to avoid paying several ex employees.

But he always made BIG $$$ contributions just in the nick of time to keep the elders off his case. And would count many hours in the driving to far flung rural territories only to perhaps talk to one person, so naturally now he is an elder himself.

• Rafe
    Rafe

There were crooked business people who were active JWS to be sure, they used the pretentious righteousness of the Org, as means to cover over their dirty unscrupulous deeds.

"I'm a brother so you can trust me "

UK LGBT press responds to Jehovah's Witness Governing Body member Anthony  Morris

• Gorb
    Gorb

Jehovah doesn't like empty hands.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Many times!

Pyramid schemes were popular too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit