Support widows

by road to nowhere 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

This weeks meeting part. Boy did they miss it while a hug is nice a scripture will not mow the yard, fix a flat, or pay the bills

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

They didn’t trot out the old story of someone finding a mystery envelope with ‘exactly the amount they needed’?

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

rtn, More info please. Can you scan literature about that? Thanks!

• zachias
    zachias

So hm money does the GB allocate to the impoverished.

• hm accounts have we heard here or personally of money being sent off to NY when people are in dire need?
  • truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Here's exhibit "A" as to why the Watchtower should lose its not for profit tax exemption. I was born in and left when I was 36. In all my 36 years as a Witness I never once saw a congregation give financial support to one of its needy members or any needy person. Never!

There were individuals who would give money. However, there was never anything said from the platform. There was never any organized effort. It was always the needy person going to another member directly to ask for help.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Truth....

Our congregation did give rent money once to a family that in my opinion was lazy. I was never an elder so was not privy to the thinking. They have done meals for people after an operation. Other than that charity consists of finding a mark to give to someone or provide aid.

The material I referenced is in the midweek meeting talk references.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

This has always been a sore spot for me. Especially as I have been settling my parent's financial matters after their deaths.

I have found many records of financial help my parents gave. And they are not just a few dollars (US) at a time. In one case it was well over $20,000.00. On one occasion my father mentioned in an elder meeting that a sister needed some financial help and all except one other elder and my father refused any help.

My parents did not restrict their help to just JW's either as most of the very few who do help do. My parents read a news article about a homeless couple whose three year old daughter had died and they could not afford a proper funeral. My parents paid the entire cost of final preparation and the services. Their only condition of doing so was that it not be revealed WHO had helped. The records of cash flow my father kept are how I found out.

Unfortunately I was not able to make all the legal changes in where they willed money before they died and WT got a pot load of money. And the greedy b-----ds could only find themselves able to write a letter asking if that was all they were going to get, or if I had more to send.

WT never has, never does, an never will let cash flow any other way except up.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

My parents did not restrict their help to just JW's either as most of the very few who do help do. My parents read a news article about a homeless couple whose three year old daughter had died and they could not afford a proper funeral. My parents paid the entire cost of final preparation and the services. Their only condition of doing so was that it not be revealed WHO had helped. The records of cash flow my father kept are how I found out.

You had some GREAT PARENTS ----Fedup👍👍

A good reminder that GOOD PEOPLE can be found everywhere---including in the WT.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TRUTH_B_KNOWN & ROAD TO NOWHERE:

Absolutely.. They are not like the religions of Christendom who have soup kitchens and programs to help the poor and needy. But yet they had the balls to criticize people like me with the label ‘unspiritual’ because I worked at a full time job (which I’m glad I held onto until Retirement).

When I was active as a JW I also noticed that any ‘help’ any member got was from other people there. Somebody went around with an envelope privately asking people for money$ plain and simple.. NOTHING ever came from the religion itself.. I hope everybody knows this.

I am glad I ‘Faded’ years ago because I would not tolerate being targeted as a ‘mark’ to give money to all these ‘needy’ types including those who fell for the BS that they didn’t need a career or to provide for their retirement!

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

"Widows and "orphans" always seemed to be the least popular in the congregations. Women without husbands (or husbands not in the truth) had very little status.

Sadly, many lose their husband's pension upon his death and truly do struggle. Especially those that were housewives all their lives as many older ones were.

A little financial planning can usually avert that kind of disaster, but you need to speak to a professional about your specific circumstances.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit