Perversion of Baptismal Vows

by AlanF 41 Replies latest jw friends

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

elderelite,

I personally think that it should be brought to the attention of every single Jehovah's Witness!

abe

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

ABM-nice one...

Compare the newest baptismal vows to what they said in this 1955 Watchtower Magazine:
    w55 7/1 p. 411 Christian Baptism for the New World Society
    15 A Christian, therefore, cannot be baptized in the name of the one actually doing the immersing or in the name of any man, nor in the name of any organization, but in the name of the Father, the Son and the holy spirit.

• Really was it new light that made them change?

Sw

• redhare67
    redhare67

Why is the WTS saying that "they are falliable" and then said" that they are guided by God s holy spirit" God s holy spirit does not make mistakes,right or am I wrong? I am afraid that I might never become a JW, BECAUSE I cannot vow loyalty to a falliable organization and then they are telling me the organization is spirit directed. Do you think that Satan has manage to capture WTS too? Where is God s true vivible organisation today apart from first century christians? Someone please help me out here, was a former bible student,ok thanks

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

Baptism should be about changing your life for God, no longer practicing the things of the world.

The WT&BTS's baptism requires that it's followers retain the worldly practice of obeying men.

First century worshipers of Jesus father, were known as "the way/path" to the true God.

"Visible organization"; is a term that the WT created to counter-balance it's not being infallible.

As noted in other posts, biblical baptism is in the Father, son, and God's spirit; not a "religion" or corp.

The true path, and baptism is not clear to most of mankind; but before the end comes, it will.

Sorry GB of the WT, your not it! Keep on "ridding the Scarlet Colored Wild Beast." And Babel on!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I am afraid that I might never become a JW, BECAUSE I cannot vow loyalty to a falliable organization and then they are telling me the organization is spirit directed.

You should be more afraid of joining an organisation that is dishonest about itself RedHare.

Welcome to our nightmare.

Where is God s true vivible organisation today apart from first century christians?

That is a doctrine of the church you are just realising is dishonest. It is necessary to teach you that, so that they can fool you into thinking that they are it. That doesn't make it true.

Chris

• Violia
    Violia

bttp

• Violia
    Violia

http://corior.blogspot.com/2006/02/aspect-of-legalism-of-jehovahs.html

more than half way down the page is the two differing vows. I will try and cut and paste.

Baptismal questions from the August 1, 1966 Watchtower, p. 465:

(1) Have you recognized yourself before Jehovah God as a sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

Baptismal questions from the May 15, 1970 Watchtower, p. 309:

(1) Have you recognized yourself as a sinner and needing salvation from Jehovah God? And have you acknowledged that this salvation proceeds from him and through his ransomer, Christ Jesus?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for redemption have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to Jehovah God, to do his will henceforth as that will is revealed to you through Christ Jesus and through God's Word as his holy spirit makes it plain?

Baptismal questions from the May 1, 1973 Watchtower, p. 280:

(1) Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognizing yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

The newest baptismal questions, from the June 1, 1985 Watchtower:

On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

• Ding
    Ding

Notice that the latest version came within a few years of the Ray Franz purge.

Remember that Ray and others raised the issue of conscience about whether a JW's loyalty was to God or to the organization.

Anyone want to bet that the latest version was written by WT lawyers to ensure that JWs have committed themselves to the ORGANIZATION and all its policies and procedures so they can't successfully sue the organization when they are disciplined by the elders (including shunning for people who DA or are DFd)?

• Violia
    Violia

Has anyone successfully challenged the baptismal vows as a way out of the Org without actually Da'ing themselves?

• Londo111
    Londo111

Because of this, I have been considering re-baptism...I just haven't thought about the logistics of it yet, such as where or by who.

When I was 15, I had no idea of any of this. I saw my friend baptized and thought that it was "about that time". And because of information control, I believed everything they told me about 1914 and so forth. I didn't understand the subtleties and implications of these vows. I do wish they allowed one to annul their baptism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit