75th Anniversary of VE Day

by cofty 23 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

Today is the 75th anniversary of the end of WII in Europe. They were a special generation who were literally prepared to give their lives rather than submit to fascism. Millions paid the ultimate price. They died so we could live in freedom. For two years Britain and the Commonwealth stood alone in a war it could not hope to win. Russia had signed a non-aggression pact with Hitler and America remained neutral until 1941. America's later contribution to the war was decisive but if Britain had not held the line there would have been no Europe as we know it today.

Of course the war didn't end until the surrender of Japan in August 1945 but May 8th 1945 saw the biggest party Britain has ever seen. Even the princesses Elizabeth and Margaret slipped out of Buckingham Palace to dance the night away with the crowds.

Britain has been celebrating as best it can under current circumstances. Never forget.

• Simon
    Simon

The greatest generation. It really is that simple.

We owe them more than a piss-poor job of protecting care homes from Covid.

• St George of England
    St George of England

All my neighbours had their Union Jacks flying today, even the Spanish family. We were raised as JW's to never have gratitude for what these people sacrificed for us. Very sad.

George

• mikronboy
    mikronboy

As boomers of 1946 we kids were still affected by WW2. My dad was still in the RAF after completing 43 trips in Lancasters. I saw him in his uniform most days. Any trip to the shops meant taking along a ration book. The first thing you asked the shop keeper was "Do I need coupons?" Food was very short - you'll find that boomers aren't too picky when it comes food, mainly because you just went without if you didn't eat it. School dinners were shit, greens, mashed potato and some indeterminate type of meat - every day! My mother had to work, I was travelling on public transport alone at age 5 to go stay with relatives at the end of the school day. The idea that the end of WW2 was some great cut-off point is just a fallacy. The only thing that ceased was armed conflict. Life continued much as it had done with all of the hardships that the wartimer's had endured. Basically life was one of gradual improvement. It was OK however - I was a happy kid though, vaguely aware of "the war" and accepted that roughing it was just a part of life and no big deal at all. So there you go. Life was pretty much what we made it, and that's a belief I've always abided by ever since.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Long live Democracy

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Just a minor correction to detail!

Britain and its Commonwealth stood alone for 12 months in WWII - between when France capitulated on 25th June 1940, and when Germany turned on its Russian ally on 22nd June 1941.

• Bill Covert
    Bill Covert

Father in law's last memories that surfaced as in a coma dying from cancer was the terror of power diving in a B25 "Mitchell" . He was the radio operator in the Royal Canadian Air Force. About the only thing I ever heard him say was "that he was the last one in the plane and the first one out" . Early in the 1970's I erected a ham radio antenna in Santa Barbara so he could connect with ham radio aficionado's to go over the mornings text.

in the 50's in the door to door he got hit by a lady with the challenge put to JW men "what did you do in the war?". He told her he bombed women and children.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Truly a great generation, men and women united in their opposition to Fascism, and as Cofty says, prepared to die if necessary.

We owe it to them to fight Fascism and the far Right as much as we can today, it is creeping back in a number of Countries.

Respect to all who fought, and supported the War effort.

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

I wonder what the world war 2 generation would think about the "democracy" we have today:

Freedom of movement withdrawn, holidays banned, exercising more than once per day a criminal offence, (Wales) visiting relatives/friends illegal, businesses ruined, income/employment withdrawn, children's education suspended indefinitely, every "routine" surgical/health procedure cancelled for at least 3 months. (in U.K.)

They'd be aghast.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

BoogerMan,

Actually, that generation was very familiar with the idea of "sacrificing personal rights for the greater good".

• All men of military age (roughly 18 to 45 years of age) accepted the fact that service in one of the armed forces was a certainty - irrespective of personal choice (and with that, the very real risk of death or injury).
    • Those not eligible for military service accepted the reality that they could be directed by the authorities as to where they were to work, and what occupation they were to engage in.
    • The media was very strictly censored.
    • Foodstuffs were severely rationed to almost starvation level. (That measure was imposed to prevent the well-to-do from snaffling the entire meagre food supply, and leaving everybody else to starve).
    • The armed services could and did issue billeting orders on property owners, forcing them to provide accommodation for service personnel.
    • Private property (including land) could be arbitarily "commandeered" for use by the armed services.
    • Blackout regulations were rigidly enforced, and persons could be fined for displaying light. (Additionally, household residents were required to provide the Air Raid Precaution Wardens with a list of all persons who were resident in a building).

That generation would have been all too familiar with the idea of emergency regulations being imposed to deal with an emergency situation. Rather than being aghast, they would more likely ask of us "What are you complaining about?".

As my late father (one of that generation) liked to remind us "You are free to do as what you are told".

More than anything else, that outlook probably defines the generation who fought WWII.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit