Random Thought on Drugs/Tobacco Being Sinful Under JW Doctrine

by neverendingjourney 15 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They are against anything that might actually do you any good. Medical marijuana is one case in point: They would view that as "drugs". There are conditions that weed would help treating. Yet, the jokehovians are against it. They do approve of drugs like Paxil and Seroquel, which are far worse than weed.

And what about remedies that actually work? Joke-hova is why we do not have access to them. Joke-hova is why we cannot even cure a damn headache, let alone more serious diseases that are ridiculously easy to cure without having joke-hova using its "chosen" to tangle medicine into a knot that is impossible to understand and to make it illegal to simply bypass this tangled mess. And what about spiritual healing? It is possible, if you know what you are doing. But, with joke-hova, hardly anyone is able to do this right. And the jokehovian religion prohibits it, totally. Fact is, using spiritual healing (even if it works) is one "sin" that is worse than using drugs (which tend to do a lousy job). That is, unless the drugs are "official" drugs such as Seroquel, which will ruin your soul. They are fine with that.

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

When you get away from the crotchety old white men in USA, it seems like people have a little more sense about things. Case in point the previous comment about elders using coca for tea in Bolivia.

White men just can't get away from their rules though.

*Disclaimer: as an old white man, I can say these things

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

They'd likely pull out some ridiculous example like they did with blood transfusions "if a Dr told you to abstain from alcohol, would it be ok to transfuse it into your veins?" remember that one?

In matters such as these, it's very normal for JWs to simply say "i'll ask the elders" or "i'll have to see what the society says"... never daring to think for themselves.

My guess is, cocoa tea would likely be ok seeing as it's a stimulant like caffeine is a stimulant. I mean, caffeine in high doses can kill too. I think the point is, one needs to be in control of their own mind and body (irony), so that's why drunkenness and getting high is a no-no.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    About the coca leaf thing. I have been to Bolivia, and was offered coca leaf tea as a drink while eating lunch in an elders home. I questioned him about it and he likened it to taking aspirin. Coca leaves have been used by the Indians for many years, and he certainly had no problem with it.

Interesting. Maybe it's like blood fractions. A little coca is okay, but too much coca in the form of cocaine and it's no longer okay.

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

JWs from the regions where it's used have no issues with drinking Coca tea - probably because it's totally different from cocaine. Cocaine has tons of chemicals that are added in a lab and processed. I think by the time they finish making cocaine it has like 1% of a coca plant.

I do wonder about the JW stance on medical marihuana though now that it's becoming more popular in the states.

• SAHS
    SAHS

“pale.emporer”: In matters such as these, it's very normal for JWs to simply say "i'll ask the elders" or "i'll have to see what the society says"... never daring to think for themselves.

That’s the thing – JWs are so conditioned to seek the approval of their WTS controlling organization that they completely defer any decision-making to their most human and foible-prone “governing body.” (Notice that I didn’t capitalize “governing body” – that was, indeed, on purpose.)

The JWs have been consistently conditioned to believe that a small handful of patriarchal men – the “governing body” – is the absolute final word on everything relating to their day-to-day lives and, indeed, their ultimate salvation. But, as 2 Corinthians 1:24 says, “Not that we are the masters over your faith.” But the WTS usurps one’s individual “thinking ability,” or “powers of perception,” by their disingenuous insistence on everyone following the “letter of the law” pertaining to their own arbitrary legalistic code of living.

Yes, indeed – “common sense” doesn’t exactly rain supreme in the land of the WTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit