First Brexit, is SCOTCH-EXIT next?

by The Fall Guy 18 Replies latest jw friends

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Mrs. MAY-hem seems happy to allow the no-deal scenario to go ahead if her deal isn't accepted.

If that scenario occurs, we can expect yet another push for a referendum to vote for Scotland's "independence." Independence would simply mean replacing the overlords of the Westminster parliament with a new set of overlords in Brussels, because the Scottish National Party is desperate to join the EU. "Independence" is so liberating!

Then the real fun would begin: Would Hadrian's Wall be rebuilt to create a hard border between Scotland and England, or would there be another 2 years of negotiations to create an Anglo-Scot backstop? Also what currency would Scotland have to adopt?

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

No deal is no big deal. Even if there is a deal, when Britain is a sovereign nation it can do just what it likes, that includes reneging on any so-called deal should it decide it's in it's best interests to do so.

• vienne
    vienne

I'm not Scottish. I'm married to a Scot, naturalized as an American. My father in law who is a long time resident and now citizen of the USA gets 'heated up' over this. Personally, I don't think independence is a great idea. But what ever they decide they decide.

My concern would be - If I were Scottish - that the nation be truly independent and viable. I don't see that happening. Scotland would become a dependency of Brussels, independent in name only. It would be forced into an identity most would not want. Or at least that I would not want if Scottish.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I don't think there will be another Scottish independence referendum anytime soon, for two reasons ...

1. The Scots voted to remain in the UK in the recent one

2. Scottish people are getting fed up of the SNP - Question Time a few weeks ago up in Scotland saw the audience tear the SNP politician a new one XD

• Simon
    Simon

The Scots ... always adamant that being ruled from London, so "far away", is terrible, and they'd be better ruled from Germany instead ...

Scotland isn't really viable as an independent country in a way that would satisfy and sustain people's current lifestyle. They get a say in the English parliament, have their own assembly, can grant themselves free tuition and other giveaways. They'd be mad to throw that away and deep down they know it.

All the "free Scotland" crap is just appeals to past rebellions and glory (really, was it ever glory though?) and typically done by the famous Scots ... who rarely live there personally anymore.

The UK should stay the UK and be fine without the EU.

Ireland is the same - all that fighting over independence only to sign it away for a far more distant and unaccountable ruler. They would be better joining the UK (which would also solve the border issue). People cross between Ireland and the UK way more than Ireland and Germany - it makes more sense to keep the sea as the natural border.

• cofty
    cofty

I wouldn't trust the wee wifies in Holyrood to run a raffle let alone a country.

The majority of Scots want Indy put in the bottom drawer for the foreseeable future and for the SNP to get on with running the country using the extensive powers they already have.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

In 2016 the SNP ran and won the election on a manifesto of having a new independence referendum if Scotland was removed from the EU by English votes. That’s exactly what happened and it’s a matter of democracy and honour that the manifesto commitment be kept by the SNP. Those who attempt to prevent it are anti-democratic and have no respect that’s what people voted for, it’s as simple as that.

For those who say Scotland is not a viable country, could you please explain what is uniquely incompetent, deficient or lacking about Scotland compared with Ireland, Norway, Denmark and other nearby successful countries of a similar size?

Scotland has been a net contributor to the UK for 42 of the last 45 years. Some complain, “that’s only if you include oil”. Well yes we include oil. Why on earth wouldn’t we include oil? You don’t calculate UK GDP excluding financial services, or the German economy excluding cars. What kind of anti-Scottish mentality is it that we should calculate Scottish GDP and tax contribution excluding one of its major industries?

Ireland is in the EU and not in the UK. Brexit negotiations have demonstrated that Ireland has partners in Europe who look out for their interests and support them. Scotland on the other hand has been ignored by Westminster beyond simply being told not to expect “special treatment” within the UK. So which Union is better to belong to?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

... if Scotland was removed from the EU by English votes. That’s exactly what happened - not quite.

Some people north of the border voted Leave the EU; some south of the border voted Remain.

You can't be intellectually honest and claim 'Scotland was removed from the EU by English votes'.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Scotland voted 62% to stay in the EU and England voted 55% to leave.

In Australia no change to the constitution is allowed unless all the states agree. Scotland is accorded less significance in the UK than Queensland is in Australia.

The actual phrase in the 2016 SNP manifesto was that there would be a new independence referendum if Scotland was removed from the EU “against its will”. Which is the precise scenario which has occurred, so a new referendum is a matter of honour and democracy.

• Simon
    Simon
    For those who say Scotland is not a viable country, could you please explain what is uniquely incompetent, deficient or lacking about Scotland compared with Ireland, Norway, Denmark and other nearby successful countries of a similar size?

Norway and Denmark aren't full of Scotts! :D

What do I win?

Seriously, oil shouldn't be part of the equation because a scenario where Scotland leaves and takes all of it isn't going to happen. Norway especially has invested their oil money, not squandered it so there's a big difference - they have had more forward looking leadership.

A sizeable part of Scotlands industry is there because of the English market, a far larger, denser and richer market than the geographically unfriendly Scotland. You can't just take all the good bits and imagine none of the negatives.

Ireland is in the EU and not in the UK. Brexit negotiations have demonstrated that Ireland has partners in Europe who look out for their interests and support them

Yes, Ireland has people in the EU more than willing to use them as pawns. The EU has shown that their "friendship" is like that of JWs in the local congregation - my, what great friends they are, true friends indeed ... right up until the point where they are not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit