Currently Reading a very informative book! Jehovahs Witnesses And The

by ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara 8 Replies latest jw friends

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

Currently reading: jehovahs witnesses and the third reich by James Penton

A wonderful book written by an ex jw, born in 1932. I find this book very informative, interesting specially coz I was not around then.Its thorough, lucid factual,every detail referenced and analytical data is provided to authenticate the veracity of assertion. A pretty good read indeed for PIMIS N PIMOS alike!

SYNOPSIS:

Since the end of World War II, leaders of the Jehovah's Witness movement in both Germany and elsewhere have steadfastly argued that Witnesses were united in their opposition to Nazism and did not collude with the Third Reich. Documents have been uncovered, however, that prove otherwise. Using materials from Witness archives, the U.S. State Department, Nazi files, and other sources, M. James Penton demonstrates that while many ordinary German Witnesses were brave in their opposition to Nazism, their leaders were quite prepared to support the Hitler government. Penton begins his study with a close reading of the "Declaration of Facts" released by the Witnesses at a Berlin convention in June 1933. Witness leaders have called the document a protest against Nazi persecution, however closer examination shows it contained bitter attacks on Great Britain and the United States - jointly referred to as "the greatest and most oppressive empire on earth" - the League of Nations, big business, and above all, Jews, who are referred to as "the representatives of Satan the Devil." It was later, in 1933 - when the Nazis would not accept Witness blandishments - that leader J.F.Rutherford called on Witnesses to seek martyrdom by carrying on a campaign of passive resistance. Many ultimately died in prisons and concentration camps, and post-war Witness leaders have attempted to use this fact to assert that Jehovah's Witnesses stood consistently against Nazism. Drawing on his own Witness background and years of research on Witness history, Penton separates fact from fiction during this dark period.

Has anyone read it? What did you think?

Zing

• vienne
    vienne

Mom had Penton's books. I've only read two of them, not this one. I liked his book on Witnesses in Canada.

• oppostate
    oppostate

It is a great read. And you can meet with Jim on Sunday via Zoom for Bible verses read and commentary on Meleti Vivlons/Eric Wilsons live session online group. Meleti has put some very recent videos on YouTube interviewing Jim that are filled with excellent info about WT history and their shsnnanigans.

Tell more and discuss the book, it is most definitely worth it.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

'Third Reich' by James Penton is one of 2 books I have by Dr. Penton. 'Third Reich' is a very informative, well researched, and very educational book. He relates in this book how Judge Rutherford was influential on his actions in the events leading in to WW2, and how Adolf Hitler clamped down even tougher on the JW's, after Rutherford's antics in the timeframe of WW2. He also shines a light on Rutherford's disregard to prohibition to alcohol in the Great Depression. How he had the 'brothers' go to great lengths to smuggle booze across the CAN/USA border in order to bring it to San Diego. Nonetheless, great book!!!! Just wanted to share a couple of tidbits.

The other book by James Penton is entitled ''Apocalypse Delayed, a story of Jehovah's Witnesses''. This book is also well researched, and informative. This is the 2015 version where he shines the spotlight on some of the cover-ups in the Borg over the last 10-15 years. What the 'Society' does NOT want you to know. This book more over reflects some of the Borg's theology and history.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Penton’s works are by far the most scholarly and professional. Nowadays it seems everyone leaving the JWs just HAS to release a book detailing their own story and mixing in their counterpoints to the theology of Jehovah’s Witnesses as if we just don’t know what’s wrong with their teachings. Penton actually manages to avoid his own story as much as possible, even though he was a high ranking elder who had led a splinter movement out of the organisation back in the 1980s.

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

@ Oppostate: Thank you for your input. it is good to know that I am not the only one who finds it is a good read.

@ Bethsarim: Thank you so much for your feedback.I do find it quite informative, I have researching things his book mentions just to verify stuff and it clearly links with other authors books that I have read in the past.

@Las M son A: Thank you for your input. I enjoy reading things that have been well documented and specially from times when I was not even born; or the very very early beginnings of the organization.

Zing

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

@ Vienne: Thanks. I would recommend you read this one coz I am finding it very gripping.

Zing

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

Hi all, stumbled upon this website when researching something and was blown away by the coincidence that It had the personal experience of james penton(the author of the above mentioned book) on his website. He speaks on other subjects too. Worth a visit if you are so inclined.

https://ad1914.com/jim-penton-dramatic-break/

Zing

• oppostate
    oppostate

@znmd

Yes, i'm acquinted with that site

Another good one with Jim's expeeiences is Channel C2 at

https://sites.google.com/view/channelc2-experiences/experiences/marilyn-jim-penton?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit