charities commission in the UK

by zeb 10 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• zeb
    zeb

I am writing to ask for your help in progressing our inquiries into the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Britain.

As you may already know, our work is divided into two parts. One is an inquiry into the charity’s policy and practices on safeguarding children and adults who are vulnerable. The other is an investigation of complaints we have received about other issues, including the charity’s policy and practices on domestic abuse and shunning. The focus of both parts is how the trustees of the charity are discharging their duties and responsibilities under charity law.

We have made significant progress to date - with very great thanks to those of you who have sent us documents and who have shared their experiences with us, by email, by phone and more recently in person.

As a result of our inquires to date, we are however now trying to locate documents and to identify case studies of domestic abuse and shunning.

Documents

We are trying to locate copies of the following documents:

· Our Kingdom Ministry, February 1975, Question Box

· Our Kingdom Ministry, October 1976, Question Box

· Awake!, November 15, 1991, p 23

· Awake!, October 8, 1994, pp 22-24

· The Watchtower, March 15, 1996, p 18

If anyone can point us in the right direction (or if you even have a copy you would be able to email), that would be very much appreciated.

Case Studies of Domestic Abuse and Shunning

Many of you have contacted us to share your experiences of domestic abuse and shunning with us and we are very grateful to you for taking the time to do so. We would now like to identify people who would be prepared to allow us to further share their experiences with the trustees of Watch Tower. This is a big ask and we do recognise that it is not going to be right for everyone. If you would like to discuss in more detail, please do get in touch – we are very happy to answer any questions.

Home Office Consultation

You may be interested to know that the Home Office has just launched a consultation on potential changes to the law on safeguarding. If you would like to know more, please check out the following link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/reporting-and-acting-on-child-abuse-and-neglect

[email protected]

• Mephis
    Mephis

That they're formally looking at domestic abuse and shunning is huge.

• Damascus
    Damascus

why does this persons email spell his name wrong?

• zeb
    zeb

Damascus, that's the name as I received it. Drop them a line.

• Landy
    Landy

Not sure he'll appreciate you putting his email address on an open forum ....

• zeb
    zeb

The above letter was a group letter sent out to lots of folk and it is a professional address but I have asked the mod to remove it, sorry things you do when tired.

thanks landy.

• Landy
    Landy

No worries - good luck with your endeavours - it's definitely something they should be looking at.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

NB . My first email failed . I checked the Charities Commission and it is publicly shown on there : Jonathan with an "a"

[email protected]

I wish I still had all those original mags that I kept for so long.........

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

I've just replied about my experience in a JW abusive marriage, I went to elders several times over the years and was told to be more submissive, work on my Christian personality and that the abuse was not bad enough to justify separation. Thankfully I eventually woke up and left the abusive relationship and the abusive religion. It never became life threatening in my case, although left a lot of damage on me and my kids. Nevertheless the elders current way of dealing with this could easily result in vulnerable young women being sent back into potentially dangerous situations, and I hope this commission changes that.

• Splash
    Splash

This wt article suggests that domestic abuse victims are partly responsible for their being beaten.

w12 2/15 p. 29 par. 12 Happiness Is Possible in a Divided Household

"The night before, Steve had hit me as I had tried to prove a point, and I was feeling sad and sorry for myself... Realizing that I needed to adjust my thinking, I prayed to Jehovah to help me be more loving toward Steve"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit