Notre Dame Cathedral on fire...

by mikeflood 10 Replies latest social current

• mikeflood
    mikeflood

Kind sad watch such historic building on flames.

I hope it will restored.....

• stillin
    stillin

It IS sad. What an architectural feat that thing is! I hope the damage is minimal.

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, awful to watch.

We watched a documentary about the Windsor Castle fire - it was amazing seeing the original, the devastation of the fire and then the restored version.

Some skills have been lost but not all, and people were able to rediscover and recreate the old effects.

Lost of old monuments and buildings suffered catastrophic damage during WWII but were restored too.

Sounds like the main structure is intact, the rest can be replaced.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

They said on the news that the French government is going to restore it. I really hope they do, because it will be a slap in the face of whoever took glee in this.

• sir82
    sir82

I found this to be reassuring:

http://johannesviii.tumblr.com/post/184208321259/jonphaedrus-notre-dame-is-burning-this-is-ok

the roof has fallen in. the scars of fires are on its buttresses. the rose window has fallen out. the beams and piers have collapsed. the spire has toppled. the stones have suffered, and will suffer again, but it is not gone.

renovation work is essential. sometimes things collapse and burn and break and have to come back. it’s not a terrorist attack, it’s renovation, an accident, but we have so much evidence, history, carefully documented everything on one of the most studied places in the world.

it’s not the end.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

How did the fire start?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Catholic? The Vatican can afford to restore it out of their small change.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I understand it was 1069 when they started to build this church. Simon is right about alot of knowlege has been lost through the years on building technics of times past. It survived two world wars but not a common fire. So sad. Still Totally ADD

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

I had a hunch this might happen.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Talking of hunches, I hope Quasimodo got out in time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit