Should Blood Transfusions be forced?

by Fisherman 19 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

1.There are times when a doctor decides that the only life saving medical treatment -short of a miracle- is a blood transfusion. In such a case, what should be done when a person refuses treatment on religious grounds and why?

2. Should a person be allowed to "mutilate" his body and why?

• just fine
    just fine

People should be allowed to make their own informed decisions. If people refuse blood or mutilate their bodies it is none of my business.

However when a religion mandates and coerces that course of action - I have a problem. Most rational people can make decisions, and adjust those decisions as situations develop. The Jehovah's Witness religion make the decision for people (no blood) without regard to the situation at hand, and allow for no change in the decision regardless of the information presented.

• blondie
    blondie

It is hard to "force" someone to have medical treatment without meeting certain legal requirements....and I don't pretend to be a lawyer even quoting other people's opinions.

When it comes to children, I feel it should be looked at more closely.

But this can become a slippery slope. jws aren't the only ones who refuse necessary medical treatment based on religious reasons and others on personal choice.

This issue has been debated in regard to many other types of medical treatments not just blood transfusions and not just singling out jws.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    People should be allowed to make their own informed decisions.

Unfortunately some people (JW) have been force fed with misinformation.

JW also seem to (be coached to) decide long before any medical professional has properly informed them on the specifics of their situation.

• Landy
    Landy

On minors, yes. On adults, no.

I think a court order is now routinely obtained where any JW minor that is likely to need a transfusion is concerned.

Strangely, the GB seem quite happy with thIs. Wonder why!

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

No one should be forced to accept or reject any medical treatment. Which is the problem with the JW stance making accepting blood a disassociating offense. They always want people to respect their views but never allow their members the freedom to have their own views. So the choice a JW has is to 1) reject blood or 2) lose their friends and family. Or take it and hope no one finds out.

If they wanted a consistent policy, they would butt out of health decisions and make the taking of all blood products a conscious matter with no congregational sanctions. But, then that would mean giving up control which they don't want to do.

• blondie
    blondie

Of course, jws are allowed to select a hemoglobin-based product that has been made out of expired human blood or animal blood...........but that detail is not provided to jws.

The hemoglobin-based substitutes use hemoglobin from several different sources: human, animal, and recombinant. Human hemoglobin is obtained from donated blood that has reached its expiration date and from the small amount of red cells collected as a by-product during plasma donation. One unit of hemoglobin solution can be produced for every 2 units of discarded blood.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1291332/

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

Physicians need to respect the wishes of their adult JW patients. However, they first need to have a private consultation with the patient with no other JWs present. They need to ascertain the patients level of commitment to the policy, as well as their understanding of the risks associated with declining various types of blood products presently banned by the WT. JW patients are often under duress and coercion to support the policy, and they have been given only the facts that support WT policy. Only after being comfortable that the patient has provided full and informed consent should the doctor proceed. Some JW patients accept all blood products. In these situations, doctors and hospitals have a responsibility to protect their privacy.

• cofty
    cofty

I have to agree that no medical procedure should ever be forced on an adult who is capable of being consulted on their wishes. It should always be forced on a child.

However the reality is that no JW actually understands the biblical commands concerning blood and they are prohibited from getting that information. I reckon given some quiet time for a one-to-one I could persuade any JW that they should at least hesitate before giving up their life for this dogma...

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Should Blood Transfusions be forced?

Onto persons under 18, yes. Abso-f**king-lutely.

Onto adults (18 and over) of sound mind, no. They are old enough and competent enough to make an informed decision.

Should a person be allowed to "mutilate" his body and why? - I'd be interested to hear what kind of half-assed definition of 'mutilate' you have in mind.

Earrings and tattoos for adults are fine, generally speaking ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit