Another thing that woke me up

by nowawake14 17 Replies latest jw friends

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

The reporting of "preaching work" hours is critical to the nonprofit status, since that is the only reason the WTBTS has to claim the non profit status.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Reporting hours? Bahahaha

I used to pad those suckers all the time. Even the placements.

I found it ridiculous having to be made to go out months when the weather was terribly cold or terribly hot or raining.

Thank God I'm off that hamster wheel.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    sir82 - "In one of the last 'arms waving like loons' live-acting convention dramas (before videos took over), about 4-5 years ago, they had a first century 'elder' sitting at a table tabulating some sort of 'report' about the 'ministry' being done."

I haven't been to many assemblies in the past 10-odd years, but I do remember a WT illustration portraying First-Century Christians going door-to-door with bags of scrolls, LOL.

I've often wondered if the idea of portraying them like present-day JWs came from some PIMO at WTHQ who threw it out there just to see if the leadership would be clueless enough to try it.

• benny
    benny

At the meeting yesterday watch tower conductor reckons hand in field service report because Jesus disciples reported back to him about what a great time they what they did. I doubt it was number of hours or return visits. The spirit led them just as the spirit supposed to direct the GB and the results speak for themselves.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

I was an elder and I faked my time and my families time for years. Even before I was PIMO.

Even when I went out about 4 or 5 hrs a month, I would put in 12 to 16.

Anyone else do that too?

• sir82
    sir82

Sure, creative rounding.

I started getting dressed for field service at 9:00, didn''t get undressed until 12:30. 3.5 hours, bam!

What's that old joke about workers in the USSR? "We pretend to work, they pretend to pay us."

In WT-world, JWs pretend to get lots of hours, and the WTS pretends to give them "privileges" as a result.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    At the meeting yesterday watch tower conductor reckons hand in field service report because Jesus disciples reported back to him about what a great time they what they did. I doubt it was number of hours or return visits.

What this shows is that apparently people report their results back to the person they follow, to the person who's disciples they are.
    Jesus disciples reported back to Jesus.

JW report back to Watchtower. Whose disciples are they then?

• blondie
    blondie

nonjwspouse,

Here's your comment that I'm sorry I missed the first time:

The reporting of "preaching work" hours is critical to the nonprofit status, since that is the only reason the WTBTS has to claim the non profit status.

--Blondie: now that makes perfect sense. Nothing motivates the WTS like negative monetary consequences. But in 1990, the WTS did not think the near future consequences or cutting off the greatest cash source they had, the upfront cash payment from millions of jws for the WTS publications, personal and in the field use.

Also: I was told that hours etc should be counted because stats were kept regarding baptisms, using rounded off numbers of 3,000 and 5,000; but only those 2 occasions. No record of any other times.

As to scrolls, few jws realize how time-consuming it was and expensive to make copies of the scriptures. That individuals did not have the funds to fund them or the access or authority to make copies. People did not have scrolls laying around at home; not even books until Gutenberg invented and used the printing press.

But I suppose jws reason if it is in WTS publications it must be true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit