Evolution Question(s)

by Cassiline 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Actaully, the JW's don't really have any unique insights into creationism, as most of their stuff is re-warmed creationistic theories from other sources.

Falling between the YEC and OEC (Young & Old Earth Creationist) stools (appropriate word) they allow creative days to be any length what-so-ever, having revised their day=1,000 years tack in the '80's with the Creation book, that misbegotten pale blue travesty that probably lead to me spending another nine years in a cult as it revised the one thing that even with my miniscule knowledge of the subject at the time I knew was in dire conflict with the evidence.

As with their take on 'kinds' of animal (which is just a shell game, it still doesn't make the Ark work, as it requires 'super-evolution' with no corresponding evidence (a bit like ID requires a designer with no corresponding evidence other than the self-falsifying principle ID is based on) let alone inconvenient things like bristlecone pines), this bluring of time period is pretty futile as it only makes the creative account slightly less absurd.

However, they keep, as most YECs, to a literal interpretation of the Flood (many OEC are quite happy to make this non-literal), which binds them into the same irrevokably flawed YEC chronology.

• Amazing
    Amazing

HI Cassi,

Enjoyed your comments. We might also conclude that intellect evolves. And with that intellectual evolution (change) humans have become exceedingly advanced, enabling us to improve our physical condition. All this could be considered part or our unique evolution as a species. Or ... part of our God-given gifts ... either-way, our ability to advance medicine, and eventually cure terrible diseases is great. - Jim W.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

drawcad...that's exactly it....the WTS does teach evolution....and MASSIVE amounts of evolution in just a few thousand years. Hehe, I guess the loss of the water canopy let in enormous amounts of radiation. --Leolaia

• AlanF
    AlanF

Good points abut eugenics, Czarofmischief. However, I don?t think we?re discussing whether eugenics is good, bad or indifferent, but what the effects have been or could be of not doing things that eugenics advocates would like. Their agenda is appalling.

Barry, one has to separate real evolution from a concentration towards a particular set of characteristics. By ?real evolution? I mean new changes to the genes, changes that didn?t exist in the population before. By ?concentration towards a particular set of characteristics? I mean the sort of thing we see when, due to external environmental pressures or whatever, a population tends to express particular characteristics but without losing the ability to express other characteristics. This would be like, say, the ancestors of eskimos migrating into colder regions and the population gradually tending towards a more compact, stocky body style to better tolerate the cold. From what we know today, it appears that that eskimo population, if moved to a warm region, would gradually tend towards a more general body style. This is all rather fuzzy because I don?t think scientists have a solid handle on how all this works yet.

I don?t know what you?re talking about with the change of head shape of soldiers. Over what time period are you talking about?

Great comments, Leolaia!

You said:

:: With evolution, "it's all over when the fat lady sings." This is a serious point to understand, because it means that evolution has no direction.

: I think you mean evolution has no purposeful telelogical direction (i.e. progress). Genetic drift can and does move in a particular trajectory of change.

Exactly (see my comment on genetic drift). My point was that, like a particle pushed around in Brownian motion, this genetic drift has no a priori direction; the path taken is seen only with hindsight.

Abaddon, interesting points, as usual.

The Watchtower certainly does teach a form of evolution via the rapid expansion of species required after ?Noah?s Flood?. So do the YECs. The difference is that the JW leaders who are keepers of this, um, ?knowledge? are so stupid/dishonest that they refuse to acknowledge it, whereas the YECs (at least, the ICR people) freely admit that rapid ?microevolution? must have take place only a few thousand years ago. Of course, the lack of evidence for this is not a problem for YECs.

This brings up the question of just who within the JW leadership are the keepers of knowledge of evolution. One Harry Peloyan, a Bethelite since the 1950s and a Knorr protégé, is the compiler of the horrendous 1985 Creation book (Peloyan has been editor-in-chief of Awake! since the late 1970s). Peloyan appears to have only rudimentary knowledge of science. It seems that he had several anonymous JWs, probably mostly not Bethelites, write the basics of the various chapters in the book. Of course, their writings had to pass muster with other JW leaders even more ignorant of science than Peloyan, so you have the blind leading the blinder with anything the Watchtower Society publishes on evolution.

It?s interesting looking at how the Watchtower?s published views on evolution and the Flood have changed over the years. Until about 1965, the published views were essentially unchanged from those of Charles Taze Russell, who pretty much adopted the weird ideas of one Isaac Newton Vail in the late 1870s. In 1961 John Whitcomb and Henry Morris (who later founded the ICR, or Institute for Creation Research) published The Genesis Flood (which borrowed heavily from the writings of the SDA crackpot George McCready Price) which kicked off the modern Young-Earth Creationist movement now popular with Christian Fundamentalists. It appears that within a few years Watchtower leaders had adopted most of Whitcomb and Morris?s ideas, adapting them slightly to the traditional 7,000-year creative day teaching, but retaining the key elements such as that all of today?s sedimentary rocks were laid down in Noah?s Flood, and that life on earth is at most a few thousand years old. However, in the late 1970s they jettisoned most of the YEC nonsense internally, but never published a word about it, except to explicitly condemn YEC ideas as ?unscientific? and even unscriptural. The level of deceit in these changes is breathtaking, as is the Watchtower?s ability to fool the JW community. None of them have the faintest idea what they?re talking about when it comes to evolution and geological history, but that never stopped them from making grandiose pronouncements about them.

In the last 15 years the Society has backed off a good deal from saying anything at all about evolution and geological history, likely because enough loyal JWs who have a bit of training in science have pointed out their most ridiculous errors. But being ?God?s spokesmen? they can?t ever admit to being wrong, as that would lead to unpleasant questioning.

AlanF

• Analysis
    Analysis

The medical community sees evolution in the current population. While the article at the website below does not actually credit evolution, it is clear that with this gene and ever increases in drug resistant viruses, evolution is still at work in the population.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24006-2003Nov30.html

• Undecided
    Undecided

Considering our life span and the slow progress of evolution what possible difference does it make to us. We will die and never know of the future. I just ignore it and try to deal with my life the best I can now. I worry more about if I will have the money to pay my electric bill.

Ken P.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    For the record, there are philosophies that don't require a god to motivate kindness and decency to the ill and the sick, nor does "evolution" demand that we turn our backs on our sapient self-development.~~ Czar

I disagree my questions even put forth that humans would not act out of kindness. ?Kindness? was not a prerequisite for my questions. I do not think that many who come up with cures act out of kindness towards mankind. When many scientists come up with cures?many act out of the need for notoriety and success not kindness. We are mammals and out of this comes our basic instinct for survival this instinct is not does not always rest on compassion.

Do not get me wrong, I was not trying to espouse Hitler?s beliefs, just some questions that came to when truly trying to consider our 'roots'. As I said above I am trying to finally read about evolution and I was sure many had thought of the questions above but I had not known this name was already put to my questions.

With evolution, "it's all over when the fat lady sings." This is a serious point to understand, because it means that evolution has no direction. When environmental pressures come into play, then creatures evolve. When the environment is stable, creatures don't evolve much (except by so-called "genetic drift"). This state of affairs is evident in the fossil record and is the reason that Gould and Eldridge came up with the theory of "punctuated equilibrium".~~ Alan
    Evolution happens slowly enough that it's not apparent from present physiology and the fossil record from the past couple of hundred thousand years whether mankind has changed much in that time or not. The oldest known Homo sapiens fossils (discovered last June in Ethiopia) are about 160,000 years old and not all that different from older species. Some paleontologists think that the environment has been stable enough that the evolution of man has slowed down compared to previous rates, and also that other things might be coming into play, such as the stablizing effect of culture. It also appears that human brains may have reached a size limit, since the pelvic opening would have to enlarge along with increased brain size at birth.~~ Alan

With PE do they not say that a species will change little or if any during their residence here? If this is the case I would have to say in the last hundred years alone mankind has made leaps and bounds and this IMO crushes this piece of their theory. Perhaps when evolving this human era has proved them wrong? Or is it in their own evolutionary process was stunted because their environment was/is 'stable' for the lack of a better word? Perhaps they did not need to think past where their theory ended? Or does the question not make sense? Or am I reading too much into the past hundred years?

But in view of my comments above, is "artificial" really artificial? Or just part of natural evolution? ~~ Alan

Damn Alan you hurt my brain there. lol

Who knows? Had people been doing that all during the past ten thousand years or so of modern history, would Isaac Newton have been born? Maybe a pile of them would have. I know one thing: you and I wouldn't have been born. ~~ Alan

I truly hope no one thinks I am suggesting that we should not make advances to help people because it goes against natural selection, just some thoughts after considering evolution seriously for the first time.

Hi Jim!! Nice to see you! I enjoyed your comments as well, we must catch up!

Abaddon getting to your commetns slowly!

Cassi

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    the Creation book, that misbegotten pale blue travesty that probably lead to me spending another nine years in a cult as it revised the one thing that even with my miniscule knowledge of the subject at the time I knew was in dire conflict with the evidence.

I know a brother who in the late '80s placed it with a householder in field service and returned the following week at a return visit. The householder had checked the original sources cited therein and angrily told my friend that he ripped the book in half and threw it away, even wanted his money back!

Leolaia

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    None of them have the faintest idea what they?re talking about when it comes to evolution and geological history, but that never stopped them from making grandiose pronouncements about them.

I remember the Creation book published the following maxim as the caption of an illustration of God's creation: "Natural selection explains how animals survive, not how they arrive." Catchy, pithy saying, I thought at the time, and being only a high school student, I didn't understand what "survival of the fittest" had anything to do with the evolution of new species. Then one day in Biology 101 the professor gave us a lecture on natural selection, and explained it so simply in just a few minutes that it was like a light shown down from heaven.....ohhhhh, now I understand! And I then realized at that moment that the WTS really doesn't understand evolution and speciation at all.

Leolaia

• AlanF
    AlanF

Cassline said:

: With PE do they not say that a species will change little or if any during their residence here?

Not exactly. What PE says is that species tend to remain stable if the population is big enough and the environment is stable. If the environment changes, the species will tend to evolve. If the population is small, which can happen due to any number of circumstances, it can also evolve rapidly due to genetic drift and so forth.

Consider an isolated population that comes under environmental pressure. That population can evolve relatively rapidly into a new species. If the isolation is broken the new species can actually replace the old species which had not changed. In the fossil record this looks like incredibly rapid evolution because all of a sudden a species has been replaced by a new but obviously related one. The actual evolution took place much slower, and because it was in a small population, the likelihood of finding transitional fossils is much lower than finding fossils of the stable parent species.

: If this is the case I would have to say in the last hundred years alone mankind has made leaps and bounds and this IMO crushes this piece of their theory.

Not at all, because the "leaps and bounds" of this past century have only to do with technology (and arguably, some aspects of culture), not with evolution of the body or intellect.

: Perhaps when evolving this human era has proved them wrong? Or is it in their own evolutionary process was stunted because their environment was/is 'stable' for the lack of a better word? Perhaps they did not need to think past where their theory ended? Or does the question not make sense?

Sorry, I'm lost.

: Or am I reading too much into the past hundred years?

I think so. Hopefully my little primer on Punctuated Equilibrium will have cleared up a couple of things.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit