Biscuits and CHOCOLATE gravy?????????????

by copsec 8 Replies latest jw friends

• copsec
    copsec

My husband and his family have a tradition of eating CHOCOLATE gravy on biscuits???? They say it is a Southern thing as their mom ate it growing up in Arkansas. Sounds gross to me and I refuse to try it. Anyone else ever heard of it??

• copsec
    copsec

So, no one else has heard of this?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I've never heard of this, but I wouldn't object to it - it sounds like it would be similar to chocolate shortcake. I'm assuming that the chocolate "gravy" is just chocolate sauce... it isn't made with bacon or ham drippins, is it?

• copsec
    copsec

LOL Nathan! Nope, it has Hershey's cocoa, sugar, milk and flour. Some also add a bit of butter and vanilla. It is a cross between a thin sauce and a pudding and it is served over regular biscuits. I LOVE chocolate but cannot seem to convince myself to try this. As I tell my husband, "It just ain't right!" LOL

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I think pretending it's a new kind of shortcake is the way to go. Real shortcake, the kind you serve with strawberries, is just baking-powder biscuit with some extra sugar in it. Make it yourself and you'll be fine.

Add some strawberries if necessary

GentlyFeral

• Xena
    Xena

My ex is from Arkansas too....I learned how to make chocolate gravy for him...very very rich!

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

please, send me the recepie - sounds as a delecious dessert.....

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

YES: Chris went deer hunting when we first married. The family we went to (witnesses) were farmers I grew up with a Southern Grandma and NEVER had heard of Choclate gravy with bicuits, but they served it.
    I call it a redneck breakfast

• copsec
    copsec

Ok, for those who want to try this:

Put 1 C sugar

3 to 4 tbl. of flour

3 tbl. powered chocolate (I use Hershey's)

1 tbl. butter

1/2 tsp vanilla

in a sauce pan and heat until mixed, slowly start adding 2 cups of milk and stir constantly until the consistency of gravy and then servce over biscuits.

Mine turned out pretty damn good!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit